[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010 Answer to Question #3

Miller, Ashton an038712 at ohio.edu
Thu Jun 21 23:57:03 EDT 2018

Though I have not started my own teaching career yet, I know that there are barriers that I will face and the same will follow with a job in administration.  We have learned so much about how important it is to know yourself before you take and administrative position, and by thinking of the barriers that I will face, it helps me to see and realize even more things about myself.

For task-orientated behaviors, I like to be organized, have a plan, and know what each person who is part of the plan is supposed to be doing. I think that sometimes this quality of mine is overbearing, so as an administrator I will have to be cautious about it.  I always complete tasks on time, but the barrier with that is I do not usually leave much time to spare.  Which is why this assignment is due in less than 30 minutes and here I am, still completing it… I realize that aspect of my efforts is going to have to change before I am an administrator.

The barrier that I feel I will face with relations-oriented tasks is that I am a bit judgmental and I take everything to heart.  If I can look at someone and think that they do not look approachable, I automatically let that be a first impression in my head and from that point on, until I see otherwise, I unfortunately hold onto that.  I also listen closely to what others say and when there is a problem, it truly bothers me to the point that I feel like the person who has the problem is mad at me, which I realize will sometimes be the case, but not always. By letting things like that get to me, it affects my mood and depending on how big of a deal it is, it affects the efficiency of my work for a brief minute.  I need to work on making relationships comfortable with people who’s personalities are a little out of my comfort zone.

I have experienced a lot of change in my life, and I know that, as others have said, change is inevitable. I think that I flow well when changes occur, but a barrier that I may need to work on is flowing well with a positive attitude.  Stakeholders need to see that their administrator can take change and positively make it work, quickly.  This will set a positive example to take change as it comes and turn it into something good.

There will always be barriers to overcome in the role of a teacher or an administrator. Realizing aspects of my own personality that may cause these barriers ahead of time helps me to go ahead and start thinking about how I will get past them. Barriers are situations that will only help us all grow in our professions as administrators.