[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Answer for Question #2, Brittany Holsinger

Saretta Jackson sjackson at southpoint.k12.oh.us
Mon Jun 18 21:11:37 EDT 2018

 I have to say that I really enjoyed this question, as it helps us to, not
only see the aspects of ourselves with which we excel, but it makes us look
a little more closely at areas that we might feel we are lacking.
I agree with your statement, "...I learned that the best leaders are true
to themselves, and there isn't one specific style or way to be an effective
leader".  Much like the way people have different personality traits, their
leadership style will have to be different as well.
I can sympathize with your ability to put on an extroverted front while
still remaining an introvert.  My husband is like this.  He is an
introvert, but, with his job, has to put on the extrovert face every once
in a while.
I can relate to stress tolerance being a weaker trait.  I, to, struggle
with how to best manage stress.  Planning things out and having control, or
what I perceive as being control, over a situation makes me feel
comfortable, but as you have stated, there are unexpected twists and turns
in our profession.
Brittany Holsinger brittany.holsinger at redstreaks.org via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en> listserv.ohio.edu
Jun 14 (4 days ago)
to Ous-lp-rp13

*There are many leadership traits I feel comfortable with. However, there
are many traits I will need to grow and develop so that I can lead to the
best of my abilities. While conducting research for this question I learned
that the best leaders are true to themselves, and there isn't one specific
style or way to an effective leader. After coming to this realization, I
was pleased to know that I could use the traits I already possess to my
advantage, without compromising who I really am. Upon completing the
personality test during class last week I found that I am an introvert.
Although traditional leaders are viewed as being extroverted, I feel
confident I can continue to put on my extroverted act- just as I do each
day as a classroom teacher. I can exhibit extrovertedness traits, while
holding true to my task oriented introvertedness. Another trait I feel
particularly confident that I already possess is emotional maturity. I am
naturally self aware, and able to regulate my temperament. No matter how
challenging a situation, I am able to stay calm and collected on the
outside. I feel this will serve me well when placed in a leadership
position. As it is important for a leader to exude calm assurance during
all situations. Self confidence is a trait I would benefit from focusing on
during the next two years. Although, I am self confident in the traditional
sense, there are times I have trouble making firm decisions quickly, I
often find myself second guessing my decisions when I reflect
retrospectively. Another weaker trait of mine is stress tolerance. I am a
planner, and I like to account for all things I must accomplish throughout
my day. I make daily checklists, and feel invigorated as I mark things off
when completed. I like things to be orderly and planned, however, in
education there are plenty of unexpected events each day. Over the past
four years I have learned to adapt and cope with the unexpected twists and
turns of working with children. So, I feel confident that I can learn to
adapt if I were in an administrative position as well. As with any new
position we fill in life, I believe the best way to learn is experience. I
firmly believe in higher education, but truly nothing beats hands on
experience. Just as when we all began teaching, we didn’t really understand
the complexities until we experienced them first hand. I believe the more
leadership responsibilities I assume, the more opportunities I will have to
 adapt my weaker traits.*