[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Response to Answer for Question #2

Brittany Holsinger brittany.holsinger at redstreaks.org
Mon Jun 18 11:16:04 EDT 2018

Mary,

I believe this is the only response that stated their school resembled that
of an authoritarian structure. It makes me wonder how long your new
principal taught in the classroom. Usually teachers have a good sense of
what makes a good leader- which as we all know isn’t an authoritarian.
Although I believe in structure within the school, from what you described
doesn’t sound like he recognizes his staff as professionals. The example
you provided about the reading series was an interesting one. It is
thought-provoking the superintendent decided to give all buildings the
series they wanted. I see benefit in letting the buildings decide- making
staff feel like professionals that can make the best decisions for what
their kids need. However, I see a disadvantage- there will not be a flow as
children progress through the buildings. Given the way your principal
governs the school, having the superintendent recognize staff
professionally, probably made a lot of teachers in your building feel
appreciated. Thanks for sharing your experience; it was eye-opening to read
of a structure opposite than what I’ve experienced.