[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Answer for Question #2

Nicholas Turon nicholas.turon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 10:47:41 EDT 2018

*Tony,What your father-in-law had to say about stress (“They can’t eat
you.”) and your mindset of “everything will be okay” is very much congruent
with what Dustin had to say on stress in class Thursday; there are only two
emergencies: school is on fire and a dead student. I believe keeping that
mindset that you stated will be key to maintaining sanity as everyone
addresses us with their own personal crisis.You also have another
advantage: you are married with children. You are able to relate to parents
and other teachers in a way that we younger students cannot at all. You
mentioned a level of discomfort, at speaking with strangers as a part of
your assistant AD job. However, I think it does help you to have that
common parenting ground when speaking about their
children.------------------------------Tony's original message:My level of
self-confidence provides me with the belief that I can accomplish or
perform well on any task that I decide to take on.  With enough motivating
factors, this includes any reasonable challenge. It is my desire for family
time and recreation that pushes back on my engagements of time consuming
challenges.My stress tolerance is a bit suspect at times with my immediate
family (ages 16, 17, and 19), but overall I have a mindset that everything
will be okay in the end as long as I don't give up.  Here are some words of
wisdom from my father in law about the DOT during my training as a truck
driver..."They can't eat you." I believe that my level of stress tolerance
along with my life experiences (16,17,19) allow me to have an equally high
emotional maturity.  I do not judge others to the point of disliking them,
but am more likely have compassion for their inabilities to communicate
appropriately.  This allows me to forgive and move on as well as avoid
unnecessary and unproductive 'power-battles' with others.Interactions with
others and comments about my person usually give me positive outlook on my
level of integrity.  I would like to think that this is one of my strongest
traits.Since I have been teaching and then later accepting the position as
our high school's associate AD, I have been working on my extroversion
skills.  I do know a lot of community members and struggle with small talk
when I run in to them. I will usually nod, wave or say high, but lack the
ability to comfortably approach them for random conversation.  I realize
that this perceived lack of friendliness has the potential to come off the
wrong way, especially when I am in such a public position.I think my
motivations are all balanced equally strong as long as the description of
power needs goes as follows.  I would want to be in control only if I felt
like my competence would be greater than someone else's, therefore making
proper use of my abilities for the good of the community and society.
  Although I would rate my technical skills somewhere around mediocre to
good right now, I feel like I could figure the technical things out with
practice and perseverance.  I feel very comfortable with respecting,
listening, learning, and responding to those that I work with and
understand that productivity with only be diminished if interpersonal
communications fail to be positive.At this point, I feel my conceptual
skills are strong. Although I would need help carrying out the organizing
aspect, I do enjoy analyzing and solving complex and challenging problems.
Being a geometry teacher may have helped me with thinking logically and
reasoning using deduction and induction.*

*Nicholas Turon*
Director of Bands
Paint Valley Local Schools
nicholas.turon at gmail.com