[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #2

Brittany Holsinger brittany.holsinger at redstreaks.org
Thu Jun 14 23:51:29 EDT 2018

The professional structure most closely resembles that of my school.
Professional structure relies on highly trained professionals to carry out
their own work. Although this professional structure has bureaucratic
tendencies, in that large-scale decision making is typically centralized,
the principal, it is not entirely bureaucratic. This professional structure
is far less machine like in that professional ultimately have the ability to
 make informed decisions, because there is not complete centralized
control. For example, at my school we have a lot of freedom when it comes
to pacing our instruction. At the beginning of each school year our
principal has us submit our pacing chart but does not dictate the outcome
of the pacing chart so long as we have one. We are trained and
knowledgeable professionals, and he believes we are capable of structure
our own instruction. In that is just one example of many of how my school
resembles professional structure.

The authoritarian structure least resembles that of my school. In an
authoritarian structure the leader dictates all the decisions and assumes
complete control over all procedures. This type of structure does not allow
for subordinates to make any decisions either for themselves or for the
organization. This structure is not at all like my school, often my
principal includes teachers in decision making, and never dictates what
occurs in our classrooms, so long as we follow curriculum, maintain
behavior, and carry out our basic duties. Like I previously stated, we are
treated as professionals that are capable of making informed decisions.
There are few organizations that the authoritarian structure would be
beneficial, however a school is not one.