[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question # 2

Matney, Mary mm933108 at ohio.edu
Thu Jun 14 19:10:44 EDT 2018

An effective administrator has many leadership traits that involve their personality, ability to motivate others, and skills. Under personality traits, I believe that having self-confidence, emotional maturity, and integrity will be my strong suits. I will have no problem handling myself in the way an administrator should operate when it comes to those aspects. I am confident in my abilities, and feel good about reaching the goals I set for myself. Over the years, there have been things happen to me, both professionally & personally, that have been a detriment to my confidence, but I am better and stronger for it now never-the-less. I believe confidence is achieved through experience, and familiarity, with your field. The more you hone your craft, the more confident you will feel. I think that emotional maturity comes easier for me because of the way I was raised. Growing up you wouldn’t find me in a room with other kids playing, instead I always hung out, and had discussions, with my adult family members which I think molded my maturity level. I contribute my ability to handle situations with a certain maturity to the talks I would sit in on with my family. I value integrity in a person, and hold myself to the same standard. I pride myself on being an honest, loyal, hard-working individual with high expectations of myself and those around me. I am a person who is motivated from within; I have personal goals that I want to work to attain and I plan to reach those goals. So, for me, I can relate to Task & interpersonal needs, achievement orientation, and self-efficacy. In my classroom, and for my family and myself, I have high expectations, so I don’t perceive my expectations being an issue when motivating others. To be an effective administrator, one must possess a plethora of skills. As was discussed in class, “a principal wears many hats”. I will have no problem with the technical, methodical, parts of the job in administration. Making schedules and writing policies will come easily to me; I love when a good plan comes together. I also believe I have the interpersonal skills it takes to be an administrator. I am a relatively social person, and I feel that I am approachable and I would do whatever I could to help someone in need.

I also believe that good & effective administrators don’t solely focus on their strengths, but they are aware of their shortcomings, and seek improvement in those departments. As an administrator, I know that when it comes to stress tolerance & extroversion I have some growing to do. I tend to let stress overtake me at times because I don’t like having incomplete tasks or extraneous problems which I know undoubtedly go along with a job in administration. I’m not so much an introvert when it comes to meeting people, or talking amongst peers; but I do tend to work better alone & need uninterrupted time to process my thoughts. I am passionate about my beliefs, and I work hard to obtain my goals, however when it comes to being extroverted about it, I tend to shy away from it basically so as not to “make waves”. Within motivation, one area in which I know I will need to work on would be power needs. I am not one who needs to hold all the power—I am more than willing to share! However, it is hard for me to ask people for help. Mostly because I don’t want to inconvenience anyone with any more work than what they are already doing. I know the demands of a classroom teacher, I know the frustrations, so for me to go and ask one more thing of them as their administrator, I think I would find that hard. One skill I think I will need help with is the conceptual skills. I am not a very abstract thinker—sometimes I need help thinking outside the box.

Although we all will have certain strengths and weaknesses, the key to growth is knowing yourself and focusing on how to improve in every way. Situations are going to arise that will shake us to the core, and maybe even change what we thought we knew about ourselves. Being self-aware is paramount when those types of situations do come about so that you can approach it effectively.