[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Answer to Question #2

Nicholas Turon nicholas.turon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 16:43:21 EDT 2018

*I feel fairly confident that I have enough a mastery of the three
personality traits of a leader (personality, motivation, skill) to be an
effective principal.As a band director, I am used to being without peers
who understand what I do in a building. Because of this, I am in the habit
of creating support networks outside of school. I feel these support
networks, this cohort quite possibly being one of them, will assist me with
stress and may provide council for scenarios for which I am not yet
prepared.Also as a part of my role, unlike perhaps any other teacher or
coach in the district, I am in charge of an entire program that keeps
students (and their parents) together with me for 8 years or longer.
Additionally, students have to choose to be in my class. If I do not
attract enough 10 year-olds, or retain enough students through seniors in
high school my program will dwindle and die. I bring this up to speak to
the transformational leadership and motivational skills I have already been
developing under my current role unlike any other teacher or coach. I need
to, as a part of keeping my job, to appeal to needs, mold student’s
beliefs, and structure a program where, at every level, students can feel
they are achieving and heading toward even larger greatness.Furthermore,
with regards to skill I am a product of my generation with regards to
technology, I am intimately familiar with leadership practices, and I have
regularly shown my abilities to recruit, align, and motivate parents
through booster organizations.That is not to say I do not have
shortcomings. Under every single one of the aspects above, I am still in a
state of continuous improvement. I read regularly to rejuvenate my
approaches to student leadership. I frequently run into conflicts I do not
know how to approach where I go to my mentors for guidance. Like the
programs I run, I myself am in a constant state of growth.In closing, if
there were one thing personally I would like to focus on improving more so
than others it would be how to quickly recognize personality needs in other
people. I believe that that skill can be very useful to me as an
administrator and in life.*

*Nicholas Turon*
Director of Bands
Paint Valley Local Schools