[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020 Response to Answer to Question #1

Miller, Ashton an038712 at ohio.edu
Tue Jun 12 16:10:07 EDT 2018

Mary,

When you talked about how students may go into a trade field, go to college, or do something completely different entirely, and how open/social systems are influenced by environmental factors, this made me think of how even open/social systems can be different from each other.  It's true that open and social systems are influenced by their environment and everything that goes on around them, but until I read about students making different career and life choices based on their surroundings, I never thought of how there are so many different kinds of open/social systems.  The only definite we know about open and social systems is that the environment defines them.  It's mind-opening to me to think of how an open system where I live might be completely opposite from an open system 30 miles down the road.

This also makes me think the same thing about natural and rational systems in the same way.  Just because things are able to flow more in a natural system, does not mean that every natural system is the same.  Rational systems are more structured, specific, and organized, but not in the same way as one another.  Thinking of these things helps it make more sense to me as to why we need to know concepts, because the same concept can be totally different depending on the situation.

Rational systems have specific organizational goals, and they work in concordance with the rest of the organization to make it run effectively. Like a machine, all parts of a rational system must operate together in order to function properly. When thinking of my school and rational systems, immediately the cooks & custodians come to mind. During lunch, the cooks set up an assembly line to fill the trays for each students’ lunch. Once students are dismissed, the cooks and the custodians work together to empty the students’ trays: one empties the trays while another washes the trays off in order to prepare for the next time of use. Each person has a specific duty, but also they work together like a well-oiled machine so that the cafeteria operates smoothly.

Conversely, as described by Hoy & Miskal: “Natural systems emphasize the informal organization rather than the formal, people rather than structure, and human needs rather than organizational demands”. Within natural systems groups, or teams, will emerge who work together to complete tasks. Natural systems within my school would be the community of teachers themselves. In my school we are constantly hearing the word “team”: Teacher-Based Team, Literacy Team, Positive Behavior Intervention Systems Team, Primary Team, Intermediate Team, etc. Although we are put in teams, which seem like a rational system in nature, our goals are each different. For example, the second grade team would have different goals and objectives than the fifth grade team. Each social group within the school, although they are grouped together, have different goals and various approaches to meeting those goals.

Open/social systems are a combination of both the rational (structured) and natural (organic) systems. All schools are considered open/social systems because while they are very structured (i.e. students enter school in Kindergarten and follow the prescribed course of study to graduation), they are also very natural in the way that students meet friends and create within their peers various social groups that have very different goals in mind. For example, some students may go into a trade field, others may go on to college after graduation, while some may follow an entirely different path. Open/social systems are influenced by environmental factors, so they are ever changing and the goals depend on the social group.