[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Question #1

Dustin Tyler dustin.tyler at ccsd.us
Mon Jun 11 10:34:10 EDT 2018

Tony, I really enjoyed reading your answer and have a lot of the same
opinions and views on leadership.  Principals get rewarded in a variety of
different ways from managing adequately from all stakeholders on any given
day.  Although, on a very tiny scale I was able to get some experience with
this by being our “head teacher”  and having to fulfill some of these
obligations for a number of days during the school year.  I found that the
best days were when the day was not interrupted due to the absence of our
principal and things went on as if the principal was present on that day.

Poor leadership qualities most certainly wash away the possibility of
building goals being reached.  One of my favorite movies of all time is
Remember the Titans and there is a movie quote in that movie that speaks
volumes.  The quote is “Attitude Reflects Leadership”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUyESAyELXY.  If the attitude of the
principal is one of positivity and hopefulness it is going to be reflected
by teachers, students, and all stakeholders of a given school.

A staff that is divided is detrimental to the entire organization and this
could be from failing to be a good leader.  As stakeholders hold a
principal accountable for the entire school there is no way that the
stakeholders will ever trust a system if they feel like the system doesn’t
trust them as a parent.

Principals get rewarded for effectively utilizing both aspects. Managing
adequately ensures that unwanted occurrences are minimized due to things
running smoothly. Stakeholders enjoy knowing that their day will not be
interrupted or changed due to poor managing.  These individuals appreciate
consistency in knowing what to expect.

However, managing without quality leadership is likely to have negative
effects such as few or no building goals being reached, understood, or even
created.  Individual teachers and departments need to have leadership in
order to come together as a single unit for the purpose of creating,
understanding, implementing and reaching reasonable goals.

Another unwanted effect due to a lack of leadership might be busy days.
Good leading brings others together as a focused team which will allow
tasks to be managed by those who understand the overall goals and missions
of the team.  This will alleviate some of time spent by the principal being
a manager.

Failing to be a good leader intuitively looks bad.  Most stakeholders lack
respect for a poor leader just because they are in a leader’s position
(principal) and are not fulfilling that position.  Divisivity with
colleagues and community as well as a lack of or misunderstood purpose also
are controlled by good leadership. Stakeholders hold the principal
accountable if these things aren’t appropriately dealt with.