[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Response to Question #1

Amanda Luttrell amanda.luttrell at redstreaks.org
Mon Jun 11 10:18:43 EDT 2018

Angelica,

     As I read your response on rational systems it allowed me to have a
better understanding on the purpose of this system. I agree with you that
cooks, custodians, and bus drivers are all examples of a rational system.
This system  falls under the structural perceptual lense. The leaders focus
on rationality and perceive their organization as being a "factory" with
specific goals. Thus, allows them to get things done.

     I agree with you that natural systems do not share a common goal due
to the fact that there are conflicting goals within the groups. Therefore,
departmentalizing is established. At my school we meet weekly in TBT's.
Although we do share a goal for attaining student growth, we go about it in
different directions to achieve that goal.

     I can see an intersection with open/socail systems here. This system
is one that I find the most difficult. This is an intersection between the
community, politocs, culture, and enviornment. It takes more demand and
reason to figure out how to motivate the community and the politcal sides
in order to evenly intersect with human, structural, and the symbolic
styles.

Rational systems are a set of goals that are set to achieve a predetermined
set of goals. This groups’ purpose is to share a common goal. They combine
them with a similar skill. Most commonly, in the school system, this group
would fall into the support staff (cooks, custodians, bus drivers, etc.).

Unlike rational systems, natural systems do not share a common goal. This
happens because there are conflicting goals within in the groups. This
group is typically made up of teachers. The reason for this is because of
the departmentalizing the content areas.

Open/social systems are made up the the entire staff, as well as the
community. With this system being made up of everybody, it is less likely
to be able to make a set of goals that can be agreed upon by everybody.

--
*Amanda Luttrell*
*Zahn's Corner Middle School*