[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010 Response to Question #1

James Ward gl_jward at seovec.org
Sun Jun 10 18:16:21 EDT 2018

Brandy, I love the point that you made about managers needing to take an
authoritarian position to ensure that their school/district performs to
their utmost potential without having to micromanage every single thing
that is occurring. I believe that administrators begin to get beat down and
lose their love for their career when trying to accomplish everything on
their own. I think that a mark of a good manager is being able to look at
certain aspects or tasks and delegate the “smaller” (as we all know that
nothing is small or unimportant in education) or less significant tasks to
an assistants or other willing and reliable staff members. I also like your
statement, as I also made the same in my answer, about leaders leading by
example. If the staff sees you working to achieve a certain goal, then they
will be more eager to jump in or take initiative to meet the same or
different goal. However, I agree for an administrator to be as successful
as possible, they need to have a handle on both of these aspects.

Your take on the fact that you think that managers need to be able to
communicate positively and effectively with the stakeholders in order to
ensure their support is great. In addition to the point, I also believe
that stakeholders want to see managers communicating effectively with their
employees. Because communication can be one of the keys to making the
business or in our case the school run like a “well oiled machine”.

To be an effective administrator you must address the managerial and
leadership aspects of your job. On the managerial side; administrators have
subordinates (assistants, teachers, school personnel) that they rely on to
make sure the necessary tasks are carried out fully and in a timely manner.
As "managers" is it an administrators job to take an authoritarian position
to ensure that their school/district is running smoothly without having to
micromanage what is being done on a day to day basis. On the leadership
side of being an administrator you must lead by example and collaborate
with everyone involved (faculty, students, families, community) to achieve
certain goals. Being an administrator means taking aspects from the
managerial side and the leadership side depending on the situation. It is
imperative that effective administrators use various aspects from both
sides to be successful.

Stakeholders are one of the major key components in schools; without these
people the school would not be able to run like a "well-oiled machine".
Stakeholders expect administrators to be authoritative and "get the job
done". Being a manager means being able to communicate positively and
effectively with the stakeholders. Stakeholders also expect administrators
to be leaders. School superintendents, principals, assistant principals
etc. are the key to a good school and good community. They are expected to
lead by example. Stakeholders often do not take well to being told what to
do, but would rather be led to achieve the desired goal.

Brandy Bruce
Graduate Student

Ohio University Southern Campus