[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Response to Answer for Question # 1

Sylvia, Molly msylvia at greenbobcats.org
Fri Jun 8 20:02:32 EDT 2018

Ian, I agree that the toughest system on the school overall is arguably the
social system. When the community, politics, culture, and other
environmental inputs come into play and coincide with the rational and
human systems, our work as an administrator will be most challenging. We'll
be forced to reconcile the power struggle with our school's vision, needs,
and goals which is a daunting task. I'd imagine that the Minford district
felt these stressors from top to bottom on the chain of command as the
community selected potential candidates and elected new board members. Our
local union recently tried to find a candidate that we could support, but
we were quite unsuccessful. It's not easy to get the community and
political side of things motivated in a way that matches the human,
structural, and symbolic needs and styles of the school.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 2:28 PM, Ian Snyder <isnyder at minfordfalcons.net>
wrote:

>             A series of rational, natural, and open systems must coincide
> to ensure that the daily routines of the school day operate
> properly.  Rational systems are more structured and formative that are
> typically put in place by administration to ensure that proper procedures
> are followed through. A rational system that I find important in my school
> setting is the safety procedures. Student safety is one of the most
> important aspects of a school system and the procedures put in place are to
> ensure that everybody involved remains as safe as possible. If a process is
> not followed through properly then the entire system could potentially face
> the consequences.
>
>             A natural system is more of a bottom up approach where as a
> rational system is a top down approach. Natural systems provide less
> structure and more flexibility for more input from the individual and not
> the organization. At the beginning of the school year each department,
> subject, meet as a team to discuss their goals for the school year and the
> overlapping standards to guarantee that the proper material is covered
> throughout the year. The natural system here is that each teacher is to
> take what applies from the meeting and is trusted to make sure they cover
> the appropriate material and prepare their students for the next year so
> that each student is on task and each foundational block prepares them for
> the next step in the building process.
>
>             The system that might be the toughest on the school system
> would be the open system. This system is where the public has the strongest
> input and control over the organization. An example of this that my school
> system recently encountered was during the election process where we were
> in need of two new school board members. With two members retiring there
> was a chance for the public to make a strong change in the individuals that
> make some of the largest decisions in the school. This process allows the
> public to voice their opinion in the school process by electing the members
> that they share the common belief with.

*Molly Sylvia*
*7th/8th Grade Social Studies Teacher*
*Jr. High Quiz Bowl Advisor*