[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6010, Response to Answer Question # 1

Jessica Orr jessica.orr at ccsd.us
Fri Jun 8 10:57:59 EDT 2018

Response to Mary Matney's Answer

        In contrasting managers and leaders, you note a difference in how
the individuals motivate subordinates or followers, stating that a manager
motivates through control and a leader motivates through building
relationships and focusing on the needs of members of the organization.
This dichotomy can also be related to the perceptual lenses of leadership
orientation styles. While I had originally considered when constructing my
original response that managers fall within the structural lens, as they
tend to be more goal-driven and less empathetic for the individuals around
them, your response leads me to consider that managers also relate to the
political lens, as they seek to motivate by controlling others, which could
also invoke a sense of fear and create an “us versus them” mentality. As
you described, managerial characteristics may cause a divide between the
administrator and subordinates because the subordinates lack a feeling of
safety and interconnectedness.
Contrastingly, you discuss how leaders motivate by building a network of
individuals who are willing and able to collaborate to achieve a goal
because they feel safe, respected, and valued. Undoubtedly, this type of
leadership lends itself to aligning with the human resources perceptual
lens, but your description of a charismatic leader shifts the alignment to
overlap with both human resources and symbolic leadership. The leader you
have described will likely meet the needs of his or her followers, but will
also provide inspiration and vision in order to excite the subordinates to
personally commit to the organization’s goals. In summary, managers and
leaders comprise overlapping and intersecting elements of the four
perceptual lenses, and to assign each type of administrator to a single
lens would be shortsighted.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 11:23 PM, Matney, Mary <mm933108 at ohio.edu> wrote:

> Mary Matney
>
> EDAD 6010- Assignment #1
>

> A principal might be well-served to address both the managerial and
> leadership aspects of administration in order to be an effective
> administrator. The long-running conversation regarding the differences
> between a principal as a manager and/or a leader is complex, however one
> thing remains the same in each of those conversations: the main difference
> between a manager and a leader is how they motivate their people. A manager
> is one who controls things, or people, in accordance with the established
> vision for a company or industry, such as a school. The management side of
> a principalship has little to do with his/her own vision, or direction, of
> the school, but rather has more to do with reaching goals set by the
> district in which he/she works. Being a principal not only entails
> demonstrating managerial skills, but it requires one to exhibit leadership
> qualities as well. Leaders are people-centered, meaning that they focus on
> helping others attain a certain level of achievement. Leaders are
> charismatic, and aim to work together with their followers to reach their
> goals or vision.
>

> Effective managers are highly regarded because they are encouraging,
> approachable, and able to accomplish many tasks. They have high standards,
> yet provide guidance when needed to reach those standards. Managers who
> have clear communication and are open to discussions are much more
> successful among their stakeholders than those who see communication as a
> one way street. Managers who fail to perform as a leader are often viewed
> in a negative way because stakeholders do not feel safe. There tends to be
> no direction, and stakeholders feel a sense of solitude. Subordinates who
> work for managers without leadership qualities often feel as though they
> have no one to support them in a crisis or conflict. Many times in fact,
> managers who do not have the necessary leadership qualities will blame the
> stakeholders when goals are not reached, or standards are not met. In
> conclusion, a principal must be both a leader and a manager in order to be
> a successful administrator because he/she must oversee the details that
> make a school function properly on a daily basis, and at the same time must
> lead with enthusiasm and fervor for his/her goals and vision in order to
> attain followers to help reach those goals.

Thank you,

*Jessica Orr*
English Teacher
Department Coordinator
Chillicothe High School
Phone: (740) 702-2287, ext. 16231

"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you
have something to say."
       --F. Scott Fitzgerald