[Ouretail] internship in Chicago

Paulins, Ann paulins at ohio.edu
Thu Apr 21 13:47:07 EDT 2011

Hello RFPD students,
Quinn McBee received this information via email and requested that I pass it along to listserv subscribers...

Do you have a shrewd eye for detail and an outgoing, adaptable personality? Are your friends constantly knocking on your door for style tips? If you’re currently enrolled in college and are interested in learning what goes on behind the scenes at fashion photoshoots & runway shows, please read on.
AKIRA is an innovative women’s and men's retailer based in Chicago. The company is a major player on the Windy City’s fashion scene and boasts a fast-growing national presence. Since its inception as a single women’s store in 2002, AKIRA has extended its influence to 14 boutiques in the Chicagoland area and an e-tail website (http://www.shopakira.com/).
This summer, we are seeking out 1 or 2 college students to serve as photoshoot interns at our offices in Chicago. Candidates should be able to intern for at least 4 months (ideally May-September) and must be able to commit 20-30 hours/week to their duties at AKIRA. If accepted, photoshoot interns would be asked to take on the following responsibilities:
- Prep products & supplies for photoshoots
- Attend every AKIRA photoshoot (these take place 2x a week)
- Work every event and fashion show hosted by AKIRA
- Assistant style every ShopAKIRA.com photoshoot and catalog ad
- Assistant style every AKIRA fashion show
- Process fashion loans for clients before and after events/shows
- Manage AKIRA's Chictopia and Polyvore accounts
- Conduct weekly competitor market research & trend analyses
Since our company culture is so tight-knit, interns are truly an integral part of our team. They get to stick their hands in many different pots & work directly with upper-level management. (If you think you'll be stuck doing grunt work, think again--every day is different at our offices!)
Successful applicants will possess a strong fashion sense, be hardworking & personable, be willing to work collaboratively and think creatively. They will also be proficient in Microsoft Word & Excel.
Although this position is unpaid, interns can receive school credit for their time with the company. We welcome applications from both Chicago residents & out-of-state students who want to spend the summer in the city! If this opportunity appeals to you, please send your resumé and a short statement of purpose (describing your qualifications & specific interest in AKIRA) to Dana Patti, AKIRA's photoshoot coordinator, at dana.shopakira at gmail.com<mailto:dana.shopakira at gmail.com>.
---------
V. Ann Paulins
Professor, Retail Merchandising and Fashion Product Development
Chairperson, Department of Human and Consumer Sciences
The Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education and Human Services
Ohio University
Grover Center E160
Athens, OH  45701

phone: 740.593.2880