[Ouctm-l] FW: Problem of the Month videos new on Inside Mathematics

Klein, Bob kleinr at ohio.edu
Fri Mar 22 11:38:40 EDT 2013

From: Ron Ottinger <rlottinger at noycefdn.org<mailto:rlottinger at noycefdn.org>>
Date: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:57 PM
To: Robert Klein <kleinr at ohio.edu<mailto:kleinr at ohio.edu>>
Subject: Problem of the Month videos new on Inside Mathematics

[cid:image001.png at 01CE2577.6C7AB4C0]<http://www.insidemathematics.org/>

Dear Bob Klein,

The Noyce Foundation has added new Problem of the Month videos featuring the Anna Yates school (Emeryville, CA) to the Inside Mathematics<http://www.insidemathematics.org/> website.  We invite you to see how the Anna Yates school jumpstarted their schoolwide conversations about mathematics teaching and learning using the Problems of the Month<http://www.insidemathematics.org/index.php/tools-for-teachers/problems-of-the-month>.  You’ll watch classroom footage from several different grades as students work on different levels of the problem, as well as conversations with the principal, teachers and coach.  In the final gallery walk, students from multiple classrooms leave comments and questions for other students about the solutions and describe what they enjoyed about doing the Problem of the Month.

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CE2577.6C7AB4C0]The Problems of the Month are designed to be used schoolwide to promote a problem-solving theme at your school.  Each problem is divided into five levels, Level A through Level E, to allow access and scaffolding for the students into different aspects of the problem and to stretch students to go deeper into mathematical complexity.  Check out the Problems of the Month with new Common Core alignment information here<http://www.insidemathematics.org/index.php/tools-for-teachers/problems-of-the-month>.
Why problem solving?  Problem solving is the cornerstone of doing mathematics. A problem that you can’t solve in less than a day is usually a problem that is similar to one that you have solved before.  But in real life, a problem is a situation that confronts you and you don’t have an idea of where to even start.  If we want our students to be problem solvers and mathematically powerful, we must model perseverance and challenge students with non-routine problems.

Inside Mathematics is a professional resource for educators passionate about improving students' mathematics learning and performance. This site features classroom examples<http://www.insidemathematics.org/index.php/classroom-video-visits> of innovative teaching methods and insights into student learning, tools for mathematics instruction<http://www.insidemathematics.org/index.php/tools-for-teachers> that teachers can use immediately, and video examples<http://www.insidemathematics.org/index.php/common-core-standards> of the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice and other Common Core math resources.

We hope these new resources will help support teachers’ understanding of the Common Core Math Standards.  Visit the site at www.insidemathematics.org<http://www.insidemathematics.org/> to explore free materials and tasks that teachers can use immediately with students.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Ottinger

Executive Director