[Ouctm-l] FW: Summer Workshops (with stipend) at Carnegie Mellon University

Knoth, Courtney ck234706 at ohio.edu
Thu Mar 31 22:14:09 EDT 2011

FYI--see below for a great opportunity!
From: OCTM Board [OCTMBOARD at LISTS.BGSU.EDU] on behalf of Mark Jaffee [markjaffee at OBERLIN.NET]
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:56 PM
To: OCTMBOARD at LISTS.BGSU.EDU
Subject: Summer Workshops (with stipend) at Carnegie Mellon University

I received this from Dr. Carol Frieze at Carnegie-Mellon University.
She specified Eastern Ohio, but if a teacher from western Ohio were
interested, I would expect that the teacher could be registered for one
or more of the workshops.  So, we would be doing a great service to the
high school teachers in Ohio if they were aware of this opportunity.
I'm also going to post the message on our Facebook page.

Dear Mark,
We are trying to get the word out about our summer workshops for High
School math and science teachers in Eastern Ohio.   Would you, as
President OCTM, be able to relay the announcement through your contacts?

Carnegie Mellon is offering 3 FREE summer workshops for High School Math
and Science teachers in Western Pa and surrounding areas.   The
workshops will provide hands-on experience and concrete ideas for
incorporating problem solving/computing concepts into math and science
classroom.

Teachers will receive a $250 stipend for each workshop they attend and
they can qualify for in-service credit.
Lodging (if needed), meals, supplies and parking/travel costs will be
covered. Each workshop has a limit of 40 participants.
They all take place here at CMU and we are particularly keen to let
teachers know about them.

Teachers can attend one, two or all of the workshops:
1. Computing with Alice (July 11-15, 2011)
2. Computational Thinking with Python (July 18-22, 2011)
3. Java Programming for Math and Science (July 25-29, 2011)

Details can be found on the program web site and application is now open:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/activate/

Thank you for your help in spreading the word!

best wishes,
carol

--
Dr. Carol Frieze