[Ocees] Fwd: Spinosaurus Lost Giant of the Cretaceous

Witmer, Lawrence witmerl at ohio.edu
Thu Sep 13 20:53:32 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Nizar Ibrahim indeed made a big splash a few years ago with his work on new material of Spinosaurus, and I'm sure the talk will be be very entertaining. He even did a TED talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/nizar_ibrahim_how_we_unearthed_the_spinosaurus?language=en&utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare

The kicker is that many of the paleo-oriented folks here will be away at that time, attending the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology meeting in Albuquerque, which is a shame

Thanks, Bob, for bringing it to our attention! Best, --Larry

[https://pi.tedcdn.com/r/pe.tedcdn.com/images/ted/61296ee39a8d6226e460826a8ac69243d188444a_2880x1620.jpg?c=1050%2C550&w=250]<https://www.ted.com/talks/nizar_ibrahim_how_we_unearthed_the_spinosaurus?language=en&utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare>

Nizar Ibrahim: How we unearthed the Spinosaurus | TED Talk<https://www.ted.com/talks/nizar_ibrahim_how_we_unearthed_the_spinosaurus?language=en&utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare>
www.ted.com
A 50-foot-long carnivore who hunted its prey in rivers 97 million years ago, the Spinosaurus is a "dragon from deep time." Paleontologist Nizar Ibrahim and his crew found new fossils, hidden in cliffs of the Moroccan Sahara desert, that are helping us learn more about the first swimming dinosaur -- who might also be the largest carnivorous dinosaur of all.