[Ocees] FW: Ecolunch Sign Up

Roosenburg, Willem roosenbu at ohio.edu
Tue Aug 28 13:31:53 EDT 2018

Forwarded from Shawn Kuchta
Howdy Graduate Students!

I recently learned that I am the new organizer for EcoLunch!  It’s a great seminar series, so I’m more than happy to do it.

Every MS student has to give at least one EcoLunch, and every PhD student has to give three of them.  Better to space them out.  Also, I encourage talks on works in progress. This is best because it provides opportunity for feedback while there is still time for feedback to be helpful. We’re all friends, and we’re here to help. You can tell us what you did (as opposed to what you are doing) in your thesis defense.

Here are the available times:

29-Aug — OCEES organization meeting for faculty (graduate students should skip this).
5-Sep
12-Sep
19-Sep
26-Sep
3-Oct
10-Oct
17-Oct
24-Oct
31-Oct
7-Nov
14-Nov
21-Nov — Thanksgiving.
28-Nov
5-Dec

When you contact me, please pick a specific date and also provide 1-2 alternatives. Three students have already contacted me about talks “later in the semester”.  These later slots will fill FAST.  If you can, sign up for an early date.  Get it over with.  Beer will taste better the rest of the semester after your early talk.  Give a talk late, and you have months to stress about it while others are enjoying their tasty cold beer.

Sincerely,
Shawn

PS: Ecolunch:  BIOS 7000 “Ecology Colloquium”.  Course #: 1727.  Sign up for 2 credits if you are giving a talk, and 1 credit if you are not.

PPS: If it is time for you to give a talk, but you don’t sign up for one, I’ll track you down and sign you up for whatever slots are available against your will.  Better to pick a time that works for you now.

Shawn Kuchta, Associate Professor
Life Science Building 233
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Ohio University