[Ocees] FW: WOOPS

Roosenburg, Willem roosenbu at ohio.edu
Tue Apr 18 08:50:30 EDT 2017

Hey All - Please see the announcement below the John Avise will be on campus on Friday and give a talk in Bentley 129 at 11 am. John is one of the pioneers to develop molecular tools to study ecology and evolution of populations. This should be a great talk.

Cheers,
Willem
Willem M Roosenburg

Sent on behalf of BIOS graduate student, Michelle Ward:

Hello all,

Please join me in welcoming Dr. John Avise, a distinguished professor at University of California Irvine, this Friday at our final installment of the semester for the BSGS speaker series.  Dr. Avise will be speaking on Friday, April 21st at 11:00 am in Bentley 129.

If you would like to meet with Dr. Avise during his visit, please email me (mw352308) or James Nassif (jn471915) as soon as possible...first come first serve.  We have openings from 1:30-6:00 pm, and you have the opportunity to meet him for breakfast on Friday and Saturday (around 8/8:30am).

We are also looking for a volunteer to pick Dr. Avise up at the airport on Thursday at 6:45 pm.  You will be reimbursed, contact me for more details.

Here is a short blurb about Dr. Avise's research, and the interesting aspects of conservation genetics that he explores.

"Research in my laboratory involves use of genetic markers (e.g. from allozymes, microsatellites, and mitochondrial DNA) to analyze the natural histories and evolution of wild animals. Topics range from micro- to macro-evolutionary: genetic parentage, mating patterns, geographic population structure, gene flow, hybridization, introgression, phylogeography, speciation, systematics, and phylogenetics. Research has been conducted on all major groups of vertebrates plus some invertebrates and has involved taxa from marine, freshwater, and terrestrial environments. The primary goal typically is to unveil ecological, behavioral, or evolutionary features of the organisms themselves; an important secondary aim is to elucidate molecular and evolutionary properties of various protein and DNA molecules. The theory and practice of evolutionary genetics are relevant to ecological issues and conservation biology, so these areas provide an underlying theme in much of my research. I have also published extensively on the relevance of evolutionary genetics to human affairs such as the science-religion interface, genetic engineering, current biodiversity challenges, and educational outreach by communicating science to the public."

There will be a lunch (with pizza!) at 12:30pm on Friday, as well as Dinner at Salaam at 6:30pm. Please join us!

Hope everyone's semester is finishing up well,
-Michelle Ward

Michelle Ward

Ohio University, M.S. Student

Ecology and Evolutionary Biology