[Ocees] Upcoming botanical stewardship activities

Holmes, Marion mh201611 at ohio.edu
Thu Nov 17 21:29:35 EST 2016

Greetings OCEES folks,

on behalf of the Plant Biology Graduate Student Association, I would like to invite you all to participate in an upcoming event.

We have organized a day of woody plant management in a prairie-like opening at Strouds Run State Park for the afternoon of Sunday, December 4th. Three small prairie-like openings are present at the park, and are home to locally uncommon species that contribute to the region's biodiversity. Persistence of these uncommon habitat type is threatened by growth of woody plants. We will be thinning populations of tree seedlings to allow prairie grasses and wildflowers to flourish in full sun. Refer to the attached flyer for more details. Please RSVP to me (mh201611 at ohio.edu) if you have any questions or would like to reserve a spot.

There will also be a garlic mustard pull in April, so be on the lookout for an announcement after Spring Break of next semester.

Please encourage your students to attend and learn about local plant diversity in a hands-on setting. We hope to see some of you at one or more of these events!

Marion

Marion Andrews Holmes
PhD Student, Environmental and Plant Biology
Ohio University
Porter Hall 405