[Oafcs] Sept 25 Program: FCS Education At a Do or Die Crossroad

Sandra Laurenson laurenson1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:43:20 EDT 2014

Hello District B Members and Fellow OAFCS Members!

*The Greater Cleveland Association for Family & Consumer Sciences (GCAFCS)
and OAFCS District B are co-sponsoring a very special meeting on September
25 addressing the status of FCS education and what each of us can do.*

For years we have collectively worried about the future of FCS education.
We have blamed funding for education in Ohio. We have blamed high school
and university counselors. We have blamed administrators and school boards.
The time has come to look inward to seriously analyze our role as FCS
professionals in facilitating this downward spiral. The reality is that
programs are now closing because school districts cannot find FCS teachers.
Fear of mentoring students into FCS education because of the perceived dim
future has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

August was already HUGE for FCS. The OATFACS Board and the OAFCS Board
voted (at significant expense!) to jointly hire The Impact Group, a great
PR/marketing firm in Hudson to develop and help us implement a major
promotion of FCS education! OATFACS is also hiring a lobbyist to represent
FCS education.

*District B Members, please make it a priority to attend the September 25
meeting to learn more, to ask questions, to share your ideas, and to find
out how you can participate in the future! All OAFCS members and other FCS
professionals are welcome to attend!*

Program and registration form are attached. If you don't receive the
attachment or can't open it, you can also find it at www.oafcs.org.

Sandra S. Laurenson
Legislative Chair
Greater Cleveland Association for Family & Consumer Sciences

937 Trimble Place

Sagamore Hills, OH 44067
330-468-3955
Laurenson1 at gmail.com