[Newman-l] Newman Ministry Team 2014-15

Chris Simmons csimmons at athenscatholic.org
Thu Apr 10 11:27:33 EDT 2014

4/4/2014

Dear friends,

Thank you for your interest in and desire to serve on the Ministry Team for
2014-2015.  It was wonderful to see the positive energy and support that you
have for one another at our recent Slate meeting.  We hope to see the same
positive energy, cooperation, and openness throughout the coming year as you
serve your brother and sisters in faith.

Now comes the exciting part.  After listening to everyone's thoughts and
suggestions, taking into account the desires of the applicants, and giving
this prayer and consideration, we are happy to announce the new Ministry
Team members.  Almost everyone was suggested for each position, and all of
the applicants have the gifts and talents to lead the particular chairs.
This is what is good about the ministry team: everyone can work together,
sharing his or her talents, to build up each other and provide a great
experience for all who come to Newman.

Spiritual Life Chair: The Spiritual Life Chair must demonstrate a commitment
to prayer and to the Faith, be a visible witness to the activity of God in
his or her life, and help to build up others in their prayer and spiritual
life.  We are happy that Jacob Welter has accepted this role.  Jake has
shown himself to be a man seeking after the heart of Christ, has been public
in his practice of faith, and seeks to lead others to Jesus Christ by his
words and actions.

Education Chair: The Education Chair helps provide a grounded voice to the
theological questions and problems that face college students.  This person
should be able to give witness to the activity of God in his or her life,
while striving to learn more about the Faith.  The education chair is not
someone who has all the answers, but seeks to question and discover answers,
all while helping others to do the same.  We are happy that Kristina Toman
has accepted the role of education chair.  Kristina has shown that she seeks
to understand her faith and the work of God in the world.  She has shown
dedication to helping others come to know Christ and develop an
understanding of his work in the world.

Service Chair: The Service Chair is responsible for planning service
activities throughout the year, and keeping the group apprised of service
opportunities in the community.  The service chair works with all the other
chairs to see that the Newman group, as a whole, is growing in service to
God and our brothers and sisters. We are happy that Maria Harding has
accepted the role of Service Chair.  She has shown herself to be
compassionate and concerned for others, and is dedicated to bringing an
awareness of the needs of our group and other groups to our attention.  She
has a passion for working with others, and desires to be invested in the
needs of others.

Social Chair: The Social Chair is responsible to creating a friendly,
welcoming, and engaging environment.  He or she plans social events for the
group.  We are happy that Genevieve Furtner has accepted this position.
Genevieve has shown her enthusiasm and commitment to bringing the best out
of others in any social setting.  She strives to be outgoing and welcoming,
and desires to include all students in the events of Newman.

Treasurer: The Treasurer is responsible for fundraising efforts and other
monetary duties related to the group. The treasurer works closely with other
chairs in planning meetings and events, providing reimbursements as
necessary.  We are happy that Jimmy Lefebvre has accepted this position.
Jimmy has shown himself to be engaged and responsible, invested in the
growth of the Newman community, and was nominated for many positions on
ministry team.  He wants to see, in the coming year, the most money raised
for Newman with the resources available.

Historian / Recording Secretary:  The Historian / Recording Secretary is
responsible for recording minutes, maintaining membership responsibilities,
and working with each chair to assemble and distribute the semester
schedule.  This person also coordinates many other duties related to weekly
meetings and outside events.  We are happy that Kourtney Cline has accepted
this position.  Kourtney has shown a commitment to the group, to her Faith,
and to others in the community.  She has demonstrated good organizational
and communication skills, which are necessary for this position.  She is
also eager to reach out to others, especially alumni and those who are
interested in the Newman community, creating an atmosphere of open
communication.

Public Relations: The Public Relations Chair is responsible to publicize,
recruit, and retain members.  He or she keeps people updated on the events
of the group.  We are happy that Ben Eilers has accepted this position.
Coming off his role as social chair, Ben can use his knowledge and
dedication to the Newman Community to improve the presence and face of
Newman on campus.  His familiarity with campus groups will allow Ben to
communicate the vision of the Newman community to a wider audience.

Please pray for these leaders as they assume new roles of responsibility for
their brothers and sisters in the Newman family!

Fr. Mark

CS

Chris Simmons

Pastoral Associate for Music & Campus Ministries

Athens Catholic Community

740-592-2711