[Newman-l] FW: May 10th Good Works Friday Night Life 20th Anniversary Celebration

Pokas, Olivia op728808 at ohio.edu
Fri Apr 12 12:00:50 EDT 2013

--
Olivia Pokas
Ohio University
   Communication Science & Disorders
       Linguistics
       Psychology
       TEFL Certificate
+ 1 740 391 3354
________________________________
From: Keith Wasserman [keith at good-works.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:23 PM
To: Wasserman Keith
Subject: May 10th Good Works Friday Night Life 20th Anniversary Celebration

(((    Can you please pass the word for us to people you know who would want to know about this important event    )))

April 10th, 2013

Hello friends!

I am writing to you to ask if you have ever attended or sponsored Good Works' Friday Night Life (Friday Night Supper)?

If so, this message is specifically for Y O U !!

On Friday May 10th, Good Works is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Friday Night Life.

Where: Good Works Luhrig Road property (7857 Luhrig Road)
Time:  4:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Date: Friday May 10th
What: Come, celebrate with us, bring a side dish of food to share and renew friendships!
(Good Works is providing the main course and we are asking everyone to bring a side dish like a vegetable, salad, or fruit)

A LITTLE HISTORY
Ken Weinkauf and I started Friday Night Life in the spring of 1993 soon after he started volunteering with Good Works.  Ken was one of the many residents of Good Works who wanted to come back, volunteer and give back after they moved out of the shelter.  Every Friday night we made spaghetti and invited people who had moved out of the Timothy House to return for a dinner/reunion.  At the time, the kitchen at the Timothy House could only accommodate 8 to 10 people so we had to eat in shifts.  But people kept coming.  We came to believe that the trusting relationships we formed with many people during the time they were experiencing homelessness caused them to desire to stay connected with us after they move out.
After a few months, we realized that there were more people than we could accommodate in our little kitchen.  We asked our friends from Central Avenue UMC if we could use their basement and they allowed us to meet there for almost 9 years all year around.  This was a time in the Athens area when there was no other public meal for people.  Then, in 2002, we moved Friday Night Life to The Plains UMC and provided transportation from the Central Avenue neighborhood to and from Friday Night Life.  The people at The Plains UMC have been very kind and gracious to us, allowing us to use the Family Life Center for almost 12 years.  Now, Friday Night Life meets there from October to March and on the Good Works property from April to September.
 Each week, a different sponsoring group brings a nutritious meal and an average of 125 to 150 people of all ages participate.  After the supper, Good Works sponsors a range of educational and community building activities that "connect people from all walks of life with people struggling with poverty so that the kingdom of God can be experienced".  Over the years, we have offered health and nutrition education classes, poetry groups, live music, craft nights, sporting activities and a weekly Kids’ Club.  And over the years A LOT of people have come together to make this weekly event such a success.
If you have ever volunteered or participated in FNL, please come and celebrate our 20th anniversary! Come prepared to renew friendships and maybe even share a reflection of your experience with the Friday Night Life community.

For questions about this event, contact Dawn Tobin or Chris Linscott at 740.594.3339

LOVE is still a verb (even after all these years),

Keith Wasserman

PS- If you have not seen it, this is a really cool video on Good Works and Friday Night life:  http://www.clickingcreateschange.com/organizations/good-works-inc

[cid:3385550222_1451564]

Keith Wasserman
Good Works, Inc.
P.O. Box 4
Athens, Ohio 45701

CONTACT INFORMATION
Good Works Administrative Office 740.594.3339
The Timothy House 740.594.3333
The Hannah House 740.594.3336
Service Living 740.818.3868
Founder/ Executive Director 740.594.9000

Web www.good-works.net<http://www.good-works.net>

www.goodworkswalk.net<http://www.goodworkswalk.net>
www.Facebook.com/Good.Works.Athens<http://www.Facebook.com/Good.Works.Athens>
http://serviceliving.wordpress.com/