[Newman-l] cardboard city/tornado relief

Pokas, Olivia op728808 at ohio.edu
Tue Sep 21 19:35:22 EDT 2010

Hey everyone!
Hope week three hasn't been too stressful yet :)

Get excited! Cardboard City is THIS Saturday. Yayy! The building of houses starts at 7:00pm, but we should get there a little early to secure a good spot and also to make sure that we all get our tshirts! I am going to ask that we all meet in Morton parking lot at 6:30 this way there is no rush and everyone can sign-in and fill out the minimal paperwork that they ask of us. Also if everyone could bring the $5 that it will cost to participate to the meeting this Wednesday that would be great! If for some reason you can't come Wednesday I can still take the money on the day of the event.

Also, as many of you know, we had a tornado affect many individuals and families in our surrounding area. I have talked to the Campus Involvement Center which has a tornado relief station setup in Baker and they have no physical service needed at the time being, but will contact me when they do.  However, they are taking donations. I am bringing three bins to the Parish Center and encouraging everyone to donate if they can! One bin will be for clothes, one for toiletries, and the other will be for non-perishable food items. Whatever you can donate will help!

Sorry for sending you a novel guys, but I'm also attaching an email I received today from OU Community Service if anyone would like to help out with more tornado relief service. Just email me or oucommunityservice at gmail.com

Olivia Pokas
Newman Community Service Chair
Women's Club Basketball Safety Officer
(740) 391-3354

Dear Interested Volunteers,

We now know of some immediate volunteer efforts and more specific projects are coming!!

If you individually or as a group want to assist with a much needed debris clean up efforts today and in the next few days you may go to The Work Station located at 70 N. Plains Rd., Plains, Ohio.  It's in a a strip plaza across from Subway. Other volunteers from Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) are there now until at least 3 today, and for the next few days at least from 9 am until 3 p.m.  I encourage you to call the work station at (740)797-1405 to see if hours get extended.  The volunteers at the work station will explain any safety precautions and then send you with directions to various work sites.  For instance, there is still a major clean up effort going on in York Township.

Please wear long pants and work boots...lots of glass and nails!!  Bring rakes, trash bags, and shovels if you have them.  Gloves and eye protection will be provided.

Also, the following three projects need volunteers....I am letting you all know of them first and will make them available to all students if more help is needed.  Please let me know if you are interested in volunteering for any of these.  We'll just assign volunteers on a first come first serve basis.

1)  In order to continue these volunteer organizing efforts....OU Volunteers are needed to staff The Work Station this Saturday from 9 to 3 p.m. (and Friday too if possible)!  Again, this is the area that is the hub of sending volunteers out.  Saturday morning they would train you, and then you would help man the station.  Approximately 5 volunteers needed.

2)  The Salvation Army located on State Street in Athens (in the back of the same building as Toyota) would like 2 volunteers on Thursday from 11:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. to help distribute food in Meiggs County (an area hit, but receiving very little attention).

We know of a few other specific needs in the community, but we will be funneling them through the work station for now...

OU (via Community Servicein the Campus Involvment Center & the Community Service Leadershop Council) will be organizing some work crews to go out to assist some families around the Nelsonville area both Saturday and Sunday morning.  The project details will be forth coming.  Let me know if you want to volunteer either morning.  We have seating for approximately 8 in our van and encourage carpool efforts.

We'll provide the specific contact info when you let us know where you want to help out.

Sincerely, Lisa Nelson