[Newman-l] Fwd: Good Works Summer Kids Discovery Club-- help wanted

cl195907 at ohio.edu cl195907 at ohio.edu
Thu May 7 00:24:03 EDT 2009

----- Forwarded message from Keith Wasserman <keith at good-works.net> -----
From: Keith Wasserman <keith at good-works.net>
To: Wasserman Keith <goodworks at good-works.net>
Subject: Good Works Summer Kids Discovery Club-- help wanted
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 17:19:09 -0400

May 6, 2009

Greetings friends!

This summer, Good Works will sponsor another Summer Kids Discovery
Club and lunch each day from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm at The Plains UM Church
for 8 weeks. (June 22- August 14th). This e-mail is written in the
HOPE that you might be able to help us find people who would be
willing to make presentations to the kids on subjects they are
passionate about or things they (you) are interested in and know
something about.

Thanks for considering this!
Love is a verb
Keith Wasserman

ps- if you are not able to support us with your time, we are seeking
gift cards from local grocery stores to help with the costs of the
perishable foods. We are planning a daily  nutritional lunch for
adults and kids and we are seeking financial assistance.  Can you help
us by providing  gift cards from local grocery stores? If so, send
then to us at P.O. Box 4, drop them off at either of the Good Works
locations  or if you prefer, you can donate on-line at our secure web
site (www.good-works.net)  through NETWORK FOR GOOD. Click on MAKE A
DONATION.

Greetings with thanks from Amanda Porter over at Good Works!

We are about to launch our Discovery Club 2009 program.

Last year, we would NOT have been anywhere nearly as successful
without the support and participation of DOZENS of community members
who came out to volunteer once a week, give a one-time presentation,
or to support us in providing the everyday nutritional needs of our
community.  In total last year, we had 72 kids registered for the
program, and we saw 40-50 kids per week!  It was amazing…and we cannot
do it without the support of the community!

As we did last year, we are going to have themed learning and activity
days: Animal Monday, Sports Tuesday, Nature and Water Wednesday, Art
and Music Thursday and Adventure Friday!  So, I am writing to ask if
you or anyone you know might be interested in coming out for one
morning this summer—from about 9am until 11am—and sharing something
you are skilled or interested in.  Last year, one kind member of our
community came and shared three different times!  One time he taught
us about the trombone, and demonstrated it for us on Music and Art
Day. Another person came and helped us learn and improve our
volleyball skills. Another friend came and talked about careers!. He
came in with a map of all of the water systems of a town and showed us
how they interacted together.  He was a real hit! Another member of
our community came with an amazing slide show on the solar system and
a really neat way to make a scale pocket-sized solar system of our
own, using a strip of paper that we folded in specific ways and crayons!

Our lessons and activities will correspond with the day’s theme, but
of course we can be flexible and creative in placing your skill or
activity on the calendar.  Bottom line is, we would love it if you
were part of our community of HOPE! Would you be willing to forward
this e-mail to friend you know who might be interested in
participating with us?

We are looking for several community volunteers to come in one time
during the summer and teach us about or how to play a sport, talk
about a career, help us learn more about (and hopefully meet!)
different kinds of animals, show us how to make different crafts and
artwork (such as birdfeeders, mosaics, ceramics, paper).  We will ask
each presenter to be ready to work with us by about 9:30am and teach
three rotating groups for about 20-30 minutes each.  If your activity
will take longer than 20-30 minutes, we can arrange to have two groups
that come in for 45 minutes each or you could have the whole group for
the entire 90 minutes!  Can you come and share with us?

The kids will belong to one of three age groups: 4-6 years old, 7-9
years old and 10-12 years old, which may mean some lessons and
activities need to be tweaked to work with all groups, but last year
the bulk of content and activities worked well for all of the kids.

So, if you are interested or if you would like some more details, feel
free to e-mail me (amanda at good-works.net)
or to give me a call: 740-594-3336.

Amanda  Porter

								You are invited to read the Good Works Community BLOG (www.good-works.net
) at the very top of our web page.

Keith Wasserman
Good Works, Inc.
P.O. Box 4
Athens, Ohio 45701

Contact information
	The Timothy House					740.594.3333
	The Hannah House					740.594.3336
	Good Works Administrative Office			740.594.3339
	Founder/ Executive Director				740.594.9000

	Web		www.good-works.net
	Email		goodworks at good-works.net

Street address are not used as mailing addresses and are available
upon request

The following is also something to ponder...

If you woke up this morning healthy ... you are more blessed than the
million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the fear and
loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pain of
starvation ... you are better off than 500 million people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof
overhead and a place to sleep ...
you are more comfortable than 75% of the people in this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a
dish someplace ... you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If you can read this, you are more blessed than over two billion
people in the world who cannot read at all.

----- End forwarded message -----