[Newman-l] Service Project

cl195907 at ohio.edu cl195907 at ohio.edu
Fri Jan 30 11:57:10 EST 2009

Hey all,

Part the change that Newman's structure is undergoing this quarter is an
increased focus on outside service oppurtunities, rather than trying to fit
something meaningful within our 2 hour meetings Wednesday nights.  In doing
this, hopefully our service projects can be more dynamic and we can be more
involved as volunteers in the community.

Our first such opportunity is coming up in February.  Good Works inc. is a
organisation here in Athens that aids those struggling with poverty in the
area.  They manage The Timothy House as a shelter for the rural homeless and
the Hannah House, which is a long term residential-care community. They also
sponsor the Walk for the Homeless every January. Its a great organisation that
really empowers and transforms lives, and they also are always in need of
volunteers--which is where we come in.

We'll be taking part in a one-day work retreat at the Good Works facilities.
Essentially, groups spend the day (9-4:00) on the grounds and help do whatever
needs doing.  This could include yardwork, painting, gardening, construction,
wood splitting and other projects associated with the upkeep of the facilities
and grounds managed by Good Works. This is a must needed service for Good
Works and also a really great way to get involved and give back to the
community.

The tentative date (I'm waiting to hear back for confirmation) is Saturday
February 28th.  Next Wednesday there will be a sign up sheet at our
meeting,but if you're definitely interested in taking part please shoot me an
email, I'd like to have a rough head count to give them.  Also in that email,
if you have any experience/skills regarding upkeep-type work (anything from
painting to car maintenance)please let me know--this information is beneficial
to Good Works in organising the projects we'll be helping with.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Courtney Lefebvre

p.s If you're curious, more information can be found at http://www.good-
works.net/.  To access work retreat information click the "short-term mission
trips" link on the left.