[Mathregionals] MATH and Covid Update 3/15/20

Eisworth, Todd eisworth at ohio.edu
Sun Mar 15 10:44:04 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

Resources

  *   Martin has been working on compiling resources for on-line migration and putting them in our Blackboard organization. There is a lot of information that is specific for problems associated with delivering mathematics content.   If you come across something potentially of use, please forward it to him.

  *   His email yesterday had some times listed for "live" remote workshops dealing with on-line migration.  My understanding is that these will continue to be implemented over the upcoming weeks, and  information will be posted at:  https://www.ohio.edu/keep-teaching/resources-and-support/live-technology-workshops

Communication Plan

  *   I am getting several emails a day from various entities on campus with a request to forward to everyone.   In the interest of keeping information flow manageable, my intent is to send you all daily summaries [titled "MATH and Covid Update, with a date] with pointers to the relevant information.  Documents will be housed in our Blackboard site.  If circumstances warrant, I may send other updates.

  *   In addition to managing the flow of information out from the university, there will be occasions when I will need to gather information from you all.  I will send those emails out marked "important", with some variant of "Request for Information" in the title.  Please keep an eye out for these; I will try to minimize the number of times I make requests.

  *   Information that needs to be sent to specific groups in our department will continue to be handled on an ad hoc basis.

Reduction in Density

President Nellis has issued a "Reduction in Workforce Density" directive.  The immediate impact on our department is that you should expect a reduction in personnel present in the office;  we are to construct a plan that has people working from home to the extent possible.   In broad terms, everyone should be working from home if this can be managed at all, and those of us who have been traveling in areas affected by CoVid should self-isolate.   I'll put the actual directive on our Blackboard site.

Graduate Student Guidance

Tanya has already sent around guidance from the college on managing graduate students with appointments.  For us, the impact is mainly in helping them get their courses on-line.  Please keep in mind that they are also having to adjust to learning on line as well.

Hang in there!

Todd