[Mathregionals] MATH and CoVid Update 3/14/20

Eisworth, Todd eisworth at ohio.edu
Sat Mar 14 12:57:24 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I know that information is coming fast and from all directions; I'm still catching up after my return to Athens yesterday.

The purpose of this email is to summarize a few things, as well as provide some department-specific information.  I recognize that the situation is very fluid, and that things can change rapidly in response to circumstances.

  1.  Instruction will resume 3/23 in distance format only (rather than on 3/16), and this will continue for the remainder of the semester.

  1.  PLEASE READ CAREFULLY communications coming from the college and university.

  1.  The university is mobilizing support for all of us engaged in this transition.  Please see the site  https://www.ohio.edu/keep-teaching as a starting point.

  1.  Please make sure you know how to access the Department of Mathematics Organization on Blackboard:

     *   Go to blackboard.ohio.edu
     *   Log in when asked
     *   Click on "My Organizations", and then "Department of Mathematics"
     *   Once in the department organization, you should see a "Covid-19 Response" link on the left.

We will house a list of resources and provide a repository of information in this location.  In particular, this is where we will place resources that are designed for helping deliver mathematics courses through the web.  Expect materials to begin to appear there within the next 48 hours.

  1.  There is an expectation that instructors should communicate by email with their classes before Monday, 3/16, even if just to acknowledge the situation and let them know that we're figuring things out.  You can send such emails through Blackboard, or through the Faculty and Advising center.

     *   Please reach out to me if you do not know how to do this.
     *   I will send an email to you all in a few moments with the subject "Confirmation of Communication with Class". Please REPLY  with the word "done" to that email after you have communicated with your class.

  1.  Please expect another email tonight as I work on organizing everything.   Remember, less is more right now.  It is OK to go low-tech if that's what needs to be done, but we have a lot of expertise in our department among both Athens and RHE faculty.

Best,

Todd