[Mathregionals] Vision problems

Eisworth, Todd eisworth at ohio.edu
Mon Nov 18 17:30:06 EST 2019

Hi all,

I've talked with some of you about this already, but I need to let everyone know that I am continuing to have vision problems that have gotten worse over the course of the semester, and that are having an increasing impact on my job.   I'm frustrated by this, and I'm trying to make arrangements so that things don't get hung up because I'm slower at handling my duties right now.  Since this affects you all at least indirectly, I wanted to let you know it is happening.

Medically, this is an issue arising from my going so many years as an undiagnosed diabetic.  The disease part is under control now that I've lost all the weight, but the vision problems are worsening because of ongoing issues with damaged blood vessels in my eyes.

I will have surgery on my left eye on Thursday, with surgery for the right eye scheduled over break.  This will be done with a laser, and allegedly with minimal recovery time.

I see fine at a distance (so driving is OK), but reading stuff on a screen is slow because I either have to really concentrate to keep things focused, or take off my glasses and get close to the screen.

The plan is for the surgery to stabilize things, so that in January I can get glasses that actually work.   Until that happens, things will be slower because it just takes more time for me to get through emails, deal with spreadsheets, etc.  Using the computer is not harmful to my eyes, but it is just more difficult to read right now.

Other than this, I'm fine, and the prognosis is excellent because of all the work on my health I did over the past year.  If everything happens as expected, then by the end January I should be back operating as normal.

If you need something from me and I haven't responded by email, it's OK to just check with me in person.   In the best of times, I can't hold everything I'm doing in my working memory and need to rely on Outlook as a backup to my biological systems.  That's not so efficient at the moment, but I will work on making things run smoother without needing me in such active role.

Thanks all for your support over the years.  I do love working here with you all.

Best,

Todd