[Mathregionals] FW: Fearlessly First on a Budget

Eisworth, Todd eisworth at ohio.edu
Thu Dec 5 10:54:32 EST 2019

Hi all,

The dean has asked that the attached documents be forwarded to all faculty and staff in the interest of transparency.

These include a memo from the provost asking all units to do a planning exercise modeling potential "efficiencies", and the corresponding report generated by the Dean's office for A&S.

There are important things to keep in mind:

-this was put together very rapidly by the college in response to the provost's request

-the numbers quoted lack any context, and were generated by upper administration running reports.   Some of the numbers do not accurately reflect the situation.  This holds for all A&S departments.  Part of what we'll be doing over break is contextualizing many of the numbers appearing in the report.

-the document assumes a staffing model that reflects an increased teaching load for many departments. This reflects the university's effort to enforce a uniform workload policy that has existed since 1994 (but apparently not enforced).   Our department is at a 2/2 load for tenure/tenure track faculty, and this is the target for doctoral granting programs.  Other teaching load targets have been set for programs that offer only Masters (3/2) or Bachelors (3/3) degrees.  This should not affect our tenure/tenure track faculty, as we're at 2/2.  I'm not sure of the implications for Instructional Faculty teaching loads yet.  I also don't know what plans are for RHE faculty under One OHIO.

-this is only a planning exercise, but it underscores the scope of the budget cuts A&S is being asked to bear.  This is not a plan; it is an attempt to quantify the scale of the problem.

I'll pass along more information as I get it.  If you have questions, let me know and I'll try to get answers.

My understanding is that all such reports from across the university are housed at:

https://www.ohio.edu/president/ohio-strategic-framework/news-updates/university-leaders-submit-ideas-budget-efficiency

Best,

Todd