[Mathregionals] Summer Reading(?)

Bubp, Kelly bubp at ohio.edu
Tue Apr 9 16:33:44 EDT 2019

bubp at ohio.edu
From: Math-group2 <math-group2-bounces at listserv.ohio.edu> on behalf of Prather, John <prather at ohio.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:38:49 PM
To: Nicely, Dywayne; Eisworth, Todd; 'math-faculty at listserv.ohio.edu'; 'math-group2 at listserv.ohio.edu'; Mathregionals at listserv.ohio.edu
Subject: Re: [Math-group2] Summer Reading(?)

From: Mathregionals <mathregionals-bounces at listserv.ohio.edu> On Behalf Of Nicely, Dywayne
Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:00 PM
To: Eisworth, Todd <eisworth at ohio.edu>; 'math-faculty at listserv.ohio.edu' <math-faculty at listserv.ohio.edu>; 'math-group2 at listserv.ohio.edu' <math-group2 at listserv.ohio.edu>; Mathregionals at listserv.ohio.edu
Subject: Re: [Mathregionals] Summer Reading(?)

Phone: 740-774-7207

[ouc_logo]

[firstgenmetoo_sig]

From: Mathregionals <mathregionals-bounces at listserv.ohio.edu<mailto:mathregionals-bounces at listserv.ohio.edu>> On Behalf Of Eisworth, Todd
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 2:52 PM
To: 'math-faculty at listserv.ohio.edu' <math-faculty at listserv.ohio.edu<mailto:math-faculty at listserv.ohio.edu>>; 'math-group2 at listserv.ohio.edu' <math-group2 at listserv.ohio.edu<mailto:math-group2 at listserv.ohio.edu>>; Mathregionals at listserv.ohio.edu<mailto:Mathregionals at listserv.ohio.edu>
Subject: [Mathregionals] Summer Reading(?)

Hi all,

I’m writing this email in my role as a faculty member, and not as department chair.

Over Winter Break 17-18, I read through several books with the goal of re-tooling my Calc II course in Spring 18.  It worked really well, and I ended up implementing some things in my Calc I section  in Fall 18.  I’m teaching Calc I again next Fall, and I wanted to go through and look at things again this Summer now that I’ve had some experience with what works well and what doesn’t.

I’m wondering how much interest there would be in having an “on-line” reading group this summer, organized through Blackboard, and reading through the book Small Teaching by James Lang:    https://www.amazon.com/Small-Teaching-Everyday-Lessons-Learning/dp/1118944496

I found the book very helpful, and it’s the one I’m really wanting to re-read.

What I am particularly interested in is brainstorming with others on the recommendations in the book, in particular addressing the questions of how one might implement things in a college mathematics classroom.  I have ideas, of course, but I’m just one person.   It needn’t just be for Calculus.  I’m interested in what this looks like in all sorts of mathematical settings.

Let me know if this sounds interesting to you, and I can try to put something together.  It should only be a small time commitment, as the book is not too long and I found it easy (and enjoyable) to read.

I had a very positive experience in my Calc II course (students clearly did better), but Calc I has a lot more challenges built into it.  I’d love to make progress on addressing some of these in my Fall course.

This would be an experiment, but I’d love to give it a try.

Thanks!

Todd