[Mathregionals] calculus textbook considerations

Mohlenkamp, Martin mohlenka at ohio.edu
Wed Dec 5 13:28:09 EST 2018

Hello,

We have been considering alternatives to the current Calculus textbook
by Stewart for MATH 2301, 2302, and 3300. The initial motivation was the
cost of the current book, but the alternative books also offer other
features.

The leading contender is the Active Calculus book by Boelkins. Kelly
Bubp pilot tested it in 2301 in Spring 2018, liked it, and is continuing
to test it this semester. I piloted it in 2301 this semester and also
like it.

The Calculus textbook committee (myself, Young, Bubp, Boscko, Kanwar)
decided:

1) This book is appealing enough to pursue further.

2) Since many of us teach Calculus, broader agreement from the faculty
as a whole is needed before we could officially switch books.

3) The faculty as a whole needs more information and experience with the
book before deciding whether or not to switch.

The goal of this message is to help with 3):

* You are encouraged to look at information about the book and my
assessment of it at
http://www.ohiouniversityfaculty.com/mohlenka/misc/calculusbook.html

* If you are teaching MATH 2301 in the Spring, you are encouraged to try
the book yourself. Inform Kelly if you plan to do so.

* If you are interested in joining the textbook committee, let me know.
It would be good to have some members who regularly teach 2302 and 3300.

There is no set timeline for deciding or switching. At earliest we could
decide in Spring to switch and then start phasing it in over the Summer.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin J. Mohlenkamp