[ITSA] Fwd: Dr. Chris Blakesley

Seann Dikkers sdikkers at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 10:09:45 EDT 2014

Happy summer! I hope you are enjoying the weather and time to organize for
the coming school year. I'm very excited that we have the chance to visit
with an old friend of mine that is traveling through Athens this week and
hope you personally have a chance to meet and greet too.

Below are the details for Dr. Blakesley's visit *this *Friday afternoon.
Please
​come if you have a bit of time on Friday, enjoy a great talk, and welcome
him to our campus.  See you there!

*The Narrative Arc and Blended Learning Environments*

 *Dr. Chris Blakesley*
Strayer University

Join us for a summer conversation:
*Friday July 25 at 1pm*
McCracken Hall
*Room 115 *

*The Narrative Arc and Blended Learning Environments*
How can a course be more like a story? How can a story engage and motivate
the learning process in powerful and meaningful ways? This session
introduces and outlines the narrative arc as a powerful medium for
communicating ideas - even in a instructional context. Dr. Chris Blakesley has
spent nearly 2 years as an ethnographer, researching the role of narrative
as used by a team of educational game designers. His work identifies
several narrative uses and concepts that are applicable to the work of
instructional designers, educators, and even students. Notably, the
narrative arc is a concept with high relevance for supporting students
gaining a 21st century education. Dr. Blakesley will address the topic of
narrative arc and how it can be integrated into online and blended learning
environments.

Dr. Chris Blakesley is a native of Salt Lake City, Utah. Dr. Blakesley
specializes
in the relationship between narrative and its sister art, games, and
learning and technology for higher education. He holds a Bachelor of Fine
Arts degree in Media Arts from Brigham Young University, a Master of
Science degree in Instructional Technology from Utah State University and a
PhD in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Dr. Blakesley currently manages an online Executive MBA curriculum as
Assistant Dean of Instructional Design at the Jack Welch Management
Institute at Strayer University.