[ITSA] Fwd: [gls] Educational Game Dev Internship (paid), Summer 2013 - Kno Inc

Seann Dikkers sdikkers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 08:28:52 EDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Spencer Striker <spencer at kno.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Subject: [gls] Educational Game Dev Internship (paid), Summer 2013 - Kno Inc
To: gls at lists.wisc.edu

Hi GLSers!

Spencer here, proud graduate of GLS, now living the startup life out in
sunny Santa Clara. I hope this letter finds you guys doing great!

Excited to announce that I'm launching an educational game development
internship this summer 2013.

Please find the description pasted below. Basically, I'm looking for 3-5
awesome educational game developers for an on-site, paid summer internship.
The goal will be to make a variety of extensible, mini-games for
integration into a cool, new product we're building. Should be a lot of fun
for motivated students looking to roll up their sleeves and make stuff! I'm
looking for designers, artists, and programmers. Let me know if you're
interested! Many thanks!! Best, SS

*

Description

Kno Inc., an innovative ed tech company based in the heart of Silicon
Valley, seeks to bring together a small team of educational game developers
for the summer of 2013, comprised of talented students passionate about
instructional game design and production. Doing Design, Art, and/or
Programming on site in Santa Clara, CA, from May 28 - August 25, 2013 will
qualify for official internship credit, and also come with a generous
hourly wage.

You will have the opportunity to work with one of the ed tech industry’s
most exciting companies on one of their newest initiatives. We are looking
to bring together a team of energetic, self-motivated developers, serious
about instructional game design. This small team will be in charge of
conceptualizing and launching a series of small, extensible educational
games to be integrated into a brand new product.

We are hiring for the following roles -

Designer

The educational game designer  will define concept, style, and
goals--ensuring the fun/learning efficacy of the game experience. This
person will need to come up with exciting concepts, solid gameplay, and
strong pedagogical principles.

Programmer (1-2)

The programmers will realize the vision of the design concept by
integrating the art and sound assets into a playable, educationally
rewarding experience. Our lead programmer will direct the other programmer,
each of whom will focus on a particular level or technology within the
game(s).

Artist (1-2)

The game artist intern will create the graphical elements of the game--the
environments, scoreboards, character animations, etc. The artist will use
various programs, such as Illustrator and Photoshop, to create richly
textured elements that the programmers can integrate into the game.

Duration & Location

May 28 - August 25, 2013; on site at Kno’s headquarters in sunny Santa
Clara, CA. 32-40 hrs/wk. Paid, with various perks including three meals a
day and the opportunity to earn valuable game credits on an innovative
project, early in your career.

Requirements: Kno’s primary requirement is that the intern demonstrate
competence in their area of expertise and enthusiasm for learning games.
You will be entrusted with important assignments and given increasing
levels of responsibility toward overseeing these projects to conclusion. We
seek people with confidence, creativity, energy, and maturity.
Professionalism and punctuality are essential.

How to Apply

Please send your resume/portfolio to spencer at kno.com along with a brief
cover letter describing why you’ll rock at this paid educational game dev
internship!
 *

--
Spencer Striker, PhD
Product Manager, Kno Inc.
spencer at kno.com

608-301–5578

 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/spencerstriker>
<http://www.facebook.com/spencer.striker>
  <http://gplus.to/spencerstriker>
<http://www.twitter.com/spencerstriker>
<http://foursquare.com/spencerstriker>
  <http://instagram.com/spencerstriker>  <http://raptr.com/spencerstriker/>

--

Seann M. Dikkers, PhD

Assistant Professor, Educational Studies

Ohio University

Check out the new book Mobile Media
Learning<http://www.etc.cmu.edu/etcpress/content/mobile-media-learning-forthcoming-june-2012>
.

Gaming Matter @ http://www.gamingmatter.com

21st Century Teaching Project <http://gamingmatter.com/GM/21CTP_Home.html>

Comprehensive Assessment of Leadership for Learning
(CALL)<http://www.callsurvey.org/>

GLS Research Group @ http://gameslearningsociety.org

388 McCracken Hall
Dept. Educational Studies