[Itech] Call for papers - Games+Learning+Society Conference 7.0

Straight, Ryan straight at ohio.edu
Wed Feb 9 09:34:01 EST 2011

Hello all,

Due date for submissions is March 7 for the 2011 Games+Learning+Society conference. Sounds like it’ll be very interesting if you do anything with games. See below or attached PDF. (Also check out http://www.glsconference.org/2011/submissions.html to see the really innovative presentation types that they offer, it’s something very different from any conference I’ve seen.)

Call for Papers

Games+Learning+Society Conference 7.0
http://glsconference.org<http://glsconference.org/>
June 15-17, 2011 Madison, WI

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is excited to announce the Games+Learning+Society (GLS) Conference 7.0 to be held June 15-17, 2011 at the Memorial Union on campus.

The GLS Conference is the premier event in the field of videogames and learning. Now in its seventh year, this grass roots “indie” event is evolving to include innovative content formats and new programming. And after waiting lists for registration in past years, we’re now finally expanding our registration to reach an even larger and more diverse audience. The GLS conference is one of the few destinations where the people who create high-quality digital learning media can gather for a serious think about what is happening in the field and how the field can serve the public interest. Our event is well known for its exceptionally high quality of content yet “community event” feel. Each year, we foster in-depth conversation and social networking across diverse disciplines including game studies, education research, learning sciences, industry, government, educational practice, media design, and business. Our continued commitment is to reinvent learning both in and out of formal schools through the promise of games and simulations. And this year’s conference promises to be the most diverse, dynamic and biggest GLS event yet.

Conference highlights include: keynotes by leaders in both academics and industry; interactive workshops on game research and game design; both individual and symposia presentation sessions; big debates about critical aspects of gaming and game design; hands‐on game play in the arcade; the “hall of failure”; a massively multi-player evening poster session over cocktails & hors d’oeuvres; an evening film festival in the playhouse theatre; fireside chats that enable thorough, cozy conversations among VIP speakers and attendees; and our signature Thursday night dinner and marquee presentation.

Confirmed Speakers include: Michael Levine, Katie Salen, Eric Zimmerman, and James Paul Gee.

We encourage the submission of traditional paper sessions as well as innovative talk formats which focus on game design, game culture, and games’ potential for learning and society more broadly. Submissions are due online by March 7, 2011. Complete submission guidelines can be found on the submissions site at http://glsconference.org<http://glsconference.org/>.

Ryan
--

Ryan Straight, M.Ed.
Student System Testing Analyst

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
~  Albert Einstein, Ideas and Opinions, 1954