[Itech] MED in Computer Education Courses for the Fall Quarter

Teresa Franklin franklit at ohio.edu
Thu Aug 18 14:45:22 EDT 2011

Hello MED Computer Education and Technology Graduate Students:

There are always questions about the MED course requirements so I have tried
to sort some of them out for you below:

The technology expectation is that you will have a* laptop with windows
Vista or Windows 7 (preferred) and 4 GB of RAM/Memory and a decent hard
drive* to install software on.  The program is offered online in a hybrid
format so you will be working at home much of the time and need to have the
appropriate machine and software installed to be successful in the program.
You will need *high speed cable or DSL internet service* as we do chats and
presentations in an online software called Adobe Connect that we supply.  If
you do not have high speed internet, you need to know of a location you can
go to do this at night during the quarter when the class requires this
activity.

The following courses are being offered this fall to MED and PhD (when
required by your advisor) and there are two sections of each course for
now.  Depending on enrollment, we may only have 1 Fri section and 1 Saturday
but for now we have one section of each course on each Fri/Sat!  The
face-to-face meeting will be held on Friday, Sept 9 (5:00 pm to 9:00 pm) and
Saturday, Sept 10 (8:30 am to 12:30 pm), Oct 7 and 8 and Nov 11 and 12 --
same time each weekend and are held in room 217B McCracken Hall.  These are
REQUIRED meetings and most faculty deduct points for not attending these
sessions.

1) *EDCT 601: Instructional Design on Friday, Sept 9th (Friday) from 5:00 to
9:00 pm in room 217B McCracken and Saturday, Sept 10th from 8:30 to 12:30*.
The book for the course is *Designing Effective Instruction* by Morrison,
Ross, Kalman and Kemp.  Be sure to purchase the RED book and not the green
one!  2011 copyright.
2) *EDCT 531: Internet Applications in Education offered on **Friday, Sept
9th (Friday) from 5:00 to 9:00 pm in room 217B McCracken and Saturday, Sept
10th from 8:30 to 12:30*.  We will use CS4 Dreamweaver software for the
course which you will need to purchase and have installed on your laptop by
the first night of the course.  I suggest you check to see if OU has it
cheaper than the stores or order it online.

The OU registration site has all of the textbook information, rooms, meeting
dates, etc should you need another reference point. OU Faculty are required
to send emails to your OU email account so if you use some other email
account be sure to forward your OU account to that account (gmail, yahoo,
hotmail). This email has been sent to the ITECH listserv as well in case a
PHD graduate needs courses.

If you need an extra hour to meet the requirements of your scholarship,
grant, or funding, please contact your advisor on the first class meeting to
pink slip for an EDCT 690.

We look forward to seeing you in Sept!

Sincerely,

Professor, Instructional Technology
Instructional Technology Program Coordinator
Dept. Educational Studies
Gladys W. & David H. Patton College of Education and Human Services
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
740-593-4561 (office)
740-593-0477 (fax)