[Itech] Summer Linguistics classes

Greg Kessler gregkess at gmail.com
Sat May 30 08:02:44 EDT 2009

Hi All,

If you intend to take one of the two Summer CALL classes you need to
register soon. I have spoken with many of you and signed many pink slips for
these classes, yet few people have registered. Due to budget cuts the
college is now threatening to cancel these classes if there are not enough
students. We need 10 students and there are currently 4 in 415/515 and 3 in
416/516. This threat has happened in previous years, but the classes have
always been offered once people actually register. This Summer we will be
experimenting with the use of the iPod Touch in both of these classes and
each student will have one to use throughout the duration of the class.

Please email me if you have any questions.

Here is information about the two classes.

Ling 515 Distributed Learning Courseware 1 Summer 1 12:10-2PM
First course in a sequence designed to provide training in developing
instructional courseware. Investigation into language teaching related use
of media, focusing on media integration and portability. Video, audio and
multimedia, including audio and video recording, editing, integration into
web pages, animations and other means of distribution, including synchronous
and asynchronous audio, video-conferencing, streaming and experimentation
with audio and video related portable devices. Texts as provided

Ling 516 Distributed Learning Courseware II Summer 1 3:10-5 PM
Second course in a sequence designed to provide training in developing
instructional courseware. Investigation into language teaching related
interactive technologies targeting each of the various language skills:
listening, speaking, reading, writing and grammar. Each of these skills will
be addressed through use of CMC such as weblogs, chat, virtual audio boards,
textual discussion boards, as well as web-based materials, course management
systems, video-conferencing, telephony, portable devices and other related
technologies as appropriate. Texts as provided

Greg
Greg Kessler
Assistant Professor of CALL
Department of Linguistics