[Honorscommunitycouncil] Oct. 31 Meeting Updates

Brian Vadakin bvadakin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 09:57:05 EST 2012

Dear HCC,

Long time no talk, at least for those who haven't been at meetings and are getting the news through email. I hope everyone is having a fantastic start to Week 11 (or is it Week 12? I can't even keep track anymore) and that everything is going well with classes and your other extracurricular pursuits. I just wanted to drop by and give you an update on HCC's work at the moment (thank you to Ben Postlethwait for taking notes at the meeting and writing up minutes).

Read it all or read what's pertinent to you — either way, we hope to see you at the meeting this Wednesday!

Sincerely,

Brian Vadakin
HCC President
(440) 622-0557

Alumni / Community Relations Group

- The first alumni roundtable with Mr. Bob Fabrizio went very well. We had a decent turnout, and other than Skype issues, the conversation was great. I think he really enjoyed speaking with us and I definitely learned a few interesting things.

- This week, we'll be (hopefully) talking with Amy Kaufman, a Senior Vice President of Corporate Operations at JGWPT Holdings in Florida. I'll keep you posted on day/time for this.

- In two weeks, Mr. Ben Lachman (a more recent graduate still living in Athens) will be coming in to speak to us.

- In an effort to build a relationship with Passion Works and the Autism Society, HCC will be purchasing three packs of gift cards from Passion Works (around $36) and writing thank you notes to HTC donors and Alumni-roundtable participants. We may have a note-writing night that will replace last year's Phoneathon.

Funtivities

- Trent, Jared and Benjamin won the October Scavenger Hunt and received a gift card to Donkey Coffee. So did the other participating teams, moral of the story being: if you come do fun things with us, we'll give you free coffee. Or something like that.

- On November 14, there will be an Open Mic night in the Common Room from 7pm to 9pm. We'll provide treats, you provide fun talents like singing, poetry-reading, dancing, playing music, comedy, etc. You're exciting people. Come show everyone.

- Pizza with the Deanz will be December 6th, around 5pm. More details to come.

Philanthropy

- We will finally be visiting Last Chance Corral on November 10 (take note — THIS SATURDAY). Trent has reserved a 12-person van. We'll get final sign up sheets out immediately.

- We're considering doing some work with some philanthropic / nonprofit organizations during Christmas: Angel Tree (for children with parents in prison) and Appalachian Peace & Justice Network.

- However, our main philanthropic association going into the future will be the Autism Society in Athens. We think we have the potential to develop a long-lasting, productive relationship with the group that could also give freshmen (this year and in upcoming years) a consistent community service opportunity.