[Hlthpol] question for Deans

Leiomyoma leiomyoma at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 21:11:58 EST 2016

All,

I have a question that I'd like to run by medical school Deans past and present.
This is a personal question and I wouldn't typically ever use a listserve for this purpose. But, the person I am asking about is such a fine human being that I wanted to be able to offer him the best opinion possible, and I think that will come from all of you. Please forgive my transgression in this regard.
Would any of you consider for admission to medical school a man aged 50-52?
It would be a second career for a very distinguished federal agent, who is also a paramedic and a pilot... just two of the additional certifications he achieved while working full time at the highest level of his profession. He wants to become a trauma surgeon, and I think he would be excellent. However, I am concerned that he may be discriminated against due to age. He is considering leaving his profession prior to 20 years (pension time) because he thinks maybe he would have a better shot if he applies at 47-48. Would that few years of difference matter to any of you who have made admission decisions? Or, is age 47+ a non-starter altogether?

Many thanks for your time,

Gina Piazza, DO, FACEP
TIPS Class of 2002 (I think! Long time ago!)