[Geogwaste] Chapter to edited collection on waste issues sought – Publisher: Routledge

Yvonne Rollins yrollins at uwo.ca
Thu Apr 7 07:40:53 EDT 2016

Good morning

I am co-editing a book entitled ‘Throw Away Societies’ to be published by
Routledge in 2016/17. I am seeking an additional chapter to complete the
book and would be pleased to hear from anyone currently working on a
manuscript that has an interest in publishing it as a chapter in ‘Throw
Away Societies’. I have provided high level information about the book’s
content and its status below and am happy to provide more detail on request.

Please contact me as soon as possible if you have an interest in
contributing to this book or if you have further questions. Also, feel free
to share with others in your own networks.

Kind regards - Yvonne

*Status*

Agreements have been signed with Routledge and an ISBN has been assigned.
We aim to submit a final draft of the book to Routledge for copy editing in
late 2016.

*Contributors: *Cassandra E. Kuyvenhoven (co-editor), Yvonne Rollins
(co-editor), Thomas Dietz, Nancy Kanbar, Gentry Linux, Ruth Lane, Virginia
Maclaren, Kate Parizeau, Dawn Cassandra Parker, Jennifer Taylor, Bo Wang,
Josie Wittmer, Alex Zahara.

*Summary*

This edited volume of scholarly work seeks to enhance understanding of
social interactions with waste materials in a range of geographic contexts
by using, among others, conceptual lenses of scale and sustainability.
Contributors explore how societies affect and are affected by wasting
processes, that is, ways in which individuals and communities throw away
waste materials.

Our core aim for this book is to continue to extend the focus of social
science research agendas towards wasting processes (Davies, 2008; MacBride,
2012) and to strengthen links with existing understandings of processes of
production and consumption (Lane & Gorman-Murray, 2011). In so doing we
seek to contribute to current debates within academic and policy circles
that critique solely technocratic accounts of waste management and widen
the research lens to accommodate different geographic contexts and social
perceptions of waste itself (Lane, 2011; Reno, 2011; Whitson, 2011). As
such, we seek to promote understanding of the social realm of
sustainability.

Contributors explore differences in social meaning associated with waste
materials in a number of geographic settings (from Tibet to Toronto and
Lebanon to London) and at a range of geographic scales (from individual to
international levels).  We seek to better understand how the presence of
waste affects these societies and how social norms and meanings associated
with waste materials affects how they are managed within waste regimes.

*Yvonne Rollins | *PhD Candidate | Geography (Environment & Sustainability)
<http://geography.uwo.ca/geograds/students/rollinsY/index.html>