[Geogwaste] Waste and indeterminacy CFP: Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, August 11-15, 2013

Josh Lepawsky jlepawsky at mun.ca
Fri Jan 11 13:59:22 EST 2013

Dear all,

I hope I can interest you in attending the Canadian Association of Geographers annual meeting being held in August in St. John's, NL. I am putting together a special session. Please find the CFP below.

Josh

Call for Papers: Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, August 11-15, 2013

Special Session: Waste and indeterminacy

Waste foments a lively conversation in geography, the social sciences, engineering, and the humanities. Specific topics proliferate – plastic bags and bottles, ocean waste, shipbreaking, e-waste, (in)formal economization, household recycling, landfilling, and sewage to name only a few – but a recurrent theme in what might be called waste- or discard studies is the indeterminacy of waste. It seems impossible to definitively ascertain, calculate, or identify waste once and for all or always and everywhere. Yet, this very indeterminacy also seems to be positive in a sense: it is a potent place from which to engage fundamental questions about epistemology, ontology, ethics, and justice for example. It generates exciting theoretical and practical interventions of many different kinds inside and outside the academy. This special session seeks papers that work with waste, understood broadly, and its indeterminacy. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

	• art, literature, media, and waste
	• economization/ecologization of waste
	• ethics, morals, justice
	• (il)legality(ies)
	• inhuman and/or nonhuman agency
	• methods for doing waste/discard studies
	• politics of waste/politics from waste
	• scale(s) and scaling(s) of waste and wasting
	• sites and -scapes
	• territory(ies)
	• waste and decolonial thinking/doing
	• waste and human exceptionalism