[GIS] No Meeting This Week

Gamma Iota Sigma gammaiotasigma_alphanu at listserv.ohio.edu
Tue Oct 25 13:17:22 EDT 2011

Hey everyone,

Sadly, we will not be having a meeting this week after all.  The speaker we
had lined up, Janalee Davis, needed to cancel for this week, but we are
working to reschedule later this quarter or Winter Quarter.  Stay tuned next
week for updates.

Regardless, we will be having a quarter ending social during week 10, so
Gamma Iota Sigma's quarter is not over.

In lieu of a meeting this week, I encourage everyone to take advantage of
social networks.  This is not the everyday speech about watching what you
put on your Facebook and Twitter, but to encourage you to take advantage of
sites like LinkedIn.  If you do not already have a LinkedIn profile, I
highly encourage you to create one and keep it updated.  It is not as fun as
Facebook, but studies show that recruiters use LinkedIn to fill positions.
It can also be highly useful to you.  There are many groups(just like
Facebook groups) that contain valuable information.  One of my favorites is
called "The Entry-Level Actuary" and was created by a Gamma Iota Sigma
alumni and member of the Grand Chapter Executive Board.  It contains regular
posts and threads from other aspiring actuaries in the same place in their
careers as us.  It includes presentations from industry professionals,
interview tips (and a huge interview question bank), and other information
pertinent to young actuaries.  I encourage you to take advantage of these
opportunities this week.

Have a good week,

Will Johnson

President