[Eecs_phd] Marietta College Krause Lecture -- What's wrong with your pa$$w0rd

Hunter, Tiffany huntert1 at ohio.edu
Fri Apr 6 08:22:10 EDT 2018

Hello,

Marietta College's annual Krause Science Lecture this year is on the topic of computer security.  Our speaker is Lorrie Faith Cranor from Carnegie Mellon University; the title of her talk is "What's wrong with my pa$$w0rd?"  I've included her abstract below.  The lecture will be at 7:00 PM on Tuesday, April 10, 2018, in the McDonough Auditorium.  The event is free and open to the public.  Given the nature of the talk, I thought this might be of interest to some of your Computer Science faulty and/or students.

Directions from Athens: East on U.S. 50 until you get to Belpre.  In Belpre, Ohio 7 Northbound splits away from U.S. 50.  Take Ohio 7 Northbound into Marietta.  Once you cross the Muskingum River Bridge this turns into Washington Street.  Stay on Washington to Fourth Street.  Turn right on Fourth Street and continue 4 blocks until you get to Butler Street.  Turn left on Butler; the parking lot will be on your right.

The lecture is in the McDonough Center Auditorium.  From the parking lot, cross the street to the pedestrian mall.  Walk up the mall for about a block.  The McDonough Center will be on your right; the auditorium is on the main floor.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this.  The abstract for the talk is included below.

-Mark

Mark A. Miller
Associate Provost for Academic Administration
Marietta College
740-376-4811
mark.miller at marietta.edu<mailto:mark.miller at marietta.edu>

What's wrong with your pa$$w0rd?

Lorrie Faith Cranor

Users struggle to follow complicated password rules, and often reuse
their passwords or add digits and special characters in predictable
places, resulting in weak passwords. In our research at Carnegie
Mellon University, we seek to advance understanding of the factors
that make following password policies difficult, collect empirical
data on password strength and memorability under various password
policies, and propose password policy guidelines to simultaneously
maximize security and usability of passwords. To that end, our
research group has conducted a series of online studies in which we
asked tens of thousands of people to create passwords that comply with
specific password policies. We developed an efficient method for
calculating how effectively several password-guessing algorithms guess
passwords and used it to analyze leaked password sets, passwords
created for our studies, and the single-sign-on passwords used by over
25,000 faculty, staff, and students at our university.  We
investigated a variety of password policies, including those with
requirements on length and types of characters, as well as those that
use passphrases and password meters. We studied user perceptions of
password security and developed an open source password meter based on
our research. In this talk I will discuss our passwords research and
highlight some of our most interesting findings. I'll also describe
ways attackers crack passwords and what you can do to prevent your
passwords from being compromised.

Lorrie Faith Cranor (lorrie.cranor.org<http://lorrie.cranor.org>) is the FORE Systems Professor
Lorrie Faith Cranor's Home Page<http://lorrie.cranor.org/>
lorrie.cranor.org
This page: Contact | News | Research | Publications | Affiliations | Teaching | Students | Consulting | Personal Elsewhere: Blog | Bio | Resume | Press | Quilts | Photos | Academic genealogy | Everything else

of Computer Science and of Engineering and Public Policy at Carnegie
Mellon University where she is director of the CyLab Usable Privacy
and Security Laboratory (CUPS). She is associate department head of
the Engineering and Public Policy Department and co-director of the
MSIT-Privacy Engineering masters program. In 2016 she served as Chief
Technologist at the US Federal Trade Commission. She is also a
co-founder of Wombat Security Technologies, Inc, a security awareness
training company. She is a fellow of the ACM and IEEE and a member of
the ACM CHI Academy.