[Eecs_mscs] FW: safety reminder

Jadwisienczak, Wojciech jadwisie at ohio.edu
Mon Oct 3 14:58:05 EDT 2022

All graduate students working in Stocker laboratories must read the message below. Thank you.
Best,
Dr.J

Subject: safety reminder

Hello everyone

I just wanted to provide a reminder based upon an incident we had last week.  Please remind all the students what to do in case the PI is not in the lab at the time of the fire incident.

  *   If the fire can be easily extinguished by using an available extinguisher, the student may try that tactic first.

     *   After using the extinguisher, the student should exit the room, close the door behind them and pull the fire alarm.
     *   The student should exit the building and wait for OUPD and the fire department to explain the circumstances and the room number.

  *   If the fire cannot be easily extinguished

     *   The student should leave the room, closing the door behind them and pull the fire alarm.
     *   The student should exit the building and wait for OUPD and the fire department to explain the circumstances and the room number.

  *   Once the student is safely outside the building, the student should notify the PI and others on the call list.
  *   The PI should notify the Department Chair and Dean's office immediately once an issue has occurred.
  *   The PI should relay information to the Fire Department regarding the chemicals or other dangerous circumstances in the room.
  *   Occupants of the building are to remain outside of the building until an official gives the all clear signal.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should any student or person remain in the room or building once a fire alarm occurs.   OUPD can issue tickets or arrest individuals for not leaving a building when there is an active fire alarm.

These same procedures should be followed for chemical spills or other situations which may arise in the labs.

Safety of our students and employees is our highest priority.  Please relay this information to all those in your department.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Luanne

Luanne Rase Bowman

Chief Operating Officer/

Chief Financial and Administrative Officer

Russ College of Engineering and Technology

Ohio University

157 Stocker Center

Athens, Ohio 45701

740.593-1421 office