[Eecs_mscs] Fw: Information about Graduate Student Senate Elections

Cribben, Denise cribben at ohio.edu
Mon Mar 23 12:40:10 EDT 2020

*This email is being forwarded to you at the request of Graduate Student Senate*

________________________________

Hello Graduate students!

We hope this message finds each of you in good health and good spirits during this chaotic time at OU.  As many of you may know, the Graduate Student Senate executive elections are this coming week (March 24th and 25th).  As we look around society during such troubled times, it becomes apparent the value of having strong and experienced leadership. We the Coalition of Graduate Student Senate promise to provide strong leadership next year [Fall 2020] through our candidacies for Graduate Student Senate executive positions.

While we understand that life is moving very fast right now and ​the next academic year may not be on the radar ​right now, we ask that you ​make time to stay involved in the decision-making process and exercise your rights as an OU student by casting your vote. We humbly ask you to consider our respective candidacies (Kaelyn, Brett, and Amid) to represent your voices in the wider university structure.  As a coalition, we hope to hone in on our three major aspects to better the graduate student experience on campus:

1.       We aim to address the rapidly growing health insurance premium increases that graduate students face on campus.

a.       We will accomplish this by targeting the universities subsidy of health insurance, waiver requirements, and annual negotiations with health insurance companies (expanding past United if necessary)

2.       We aim to address stagnant graduate student pay.

a.       We will request that a increase to stipend pay be made such that stipends track inflation rates (at minimum)

3.       We will foster a greater graduate student community across program and discipline on campus

a.       This community will be accomplished with the Graduate Student Senate as the center and be nurtured with regular, campus wider activities specifically directed towards graduate students.

With over a decade of campus experience within the Coalition for Graduate student advancement, we hope that you consider us in your vote for Graduate Student Senate potions come March 24th and 25th.  To vote, each of you will receive a link from the Graduate College that will be live from the morning of the 24th (Tuesday) to 11:59pm on March 25th (Wednesday).  If you wish to learn more about all the candidates running in the GSS election please visit the Graduate Student Senate campus labs page through BobcatConnect.

We will be happy to hear from you; please feel free to send questions or comments to us via email.

Stay healthy Bobcats!

Kaelyn Ferris (bf071017 at ohio.edu<mailto:bf071017 at ohio.edu>)

Brett Fredericksen (bf093616 at ohio.edu<mailto:bf093616 at ohio.edu>)

Amid Vahedi  (av272616 at ohio.edu<mailto:av272616 at ohio.edu>)