[Eecs_bscs] Teaching opportunity for CS students

Hunter, Tiffany huntert1 at ohio.edu
Mon Jul 31 09:05:30 EDT 2017

From: Jad Rayes [mailto:jadrayescpp at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:08 PM
To: Juedes, David
Subject: Teaching opportunity for CS students

Dear Dr. Juedes,

My name is Jad Rayes, and I’m a CS major at George Mason University. I volunteer with an organization called The Coding School, a 501c3 focused on teaching K-12 students how to code. We’re working on some really cool initiatives aimed at increasing diversity in the field by moving beyond traditional educational methods, and I’m hoping you can share the opportunity below with the CS majors at your school.

Just so you know a little more about our organization and what we’re doing: The Coding School is partnered with UCLA and USC, and since its founding in 2014, we’ve taught over 2,500 K-8 students at 16 schools throughout California. Our team is comprised of over 120 passionate university students majoring in computer science. While our focus thus far has been on long-term coding instruction through in-school and after school programs, we believe coding is the key to social mobility, and therefore, have begun an initiative called codeConnects, which is an online platform that offers one-on-one computer science instruction and mentorship to underrepresented middle and high school students. Because we want to have the most impact possible, we’re calling on all software engineers, coding professionals, and university students majoring in computer science to commit to volunteering 1 hour a week for the school year to teaching and mentor a student. We would love to have as many students from the Ohio University participate and hope you will help us by sending the blurb out via as many avenues as possible.

To sign up and learn more about The Coding School and codeConnects, please fill out the form below:

https://goo.gl/forms/tTWNSxqf6M9ecjkg2

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best,

Jad Rayes