[DU-L] Delta Upsilon Global Service Initiative Assistance

Kevin Smith smithk3 at ohio.edu
Mon Mar 22 14:41:33 EDT 2010

Gentlemen,

For your consideration.

The Delta Upsilon Global Service Initiative offers undergraduate DU members
a unique opportunity to engage in direct service while uniting Delta Upsilon
competencies and principles with the customs and cultures of the Negril,
Jamaica community.

Members travel to, study in and work with this community where social and
economic conditions are substandard.

During the global experience, members will engage in a variety of cultural,
educational, recreational and reflective activities. Participants will roll
up their sleeves to build or rebuild in areas of need, teach literacy skills
to children, and engage in a dialogue of social justice with other Delta
Upsilon members.

Students will take a pre-and post-trip survey, The Global Perspective
Inventory, which is administered by an outside organization of the same
name. The survey will not only measure what students learned on a number of
different issues; it will also compare our Global Service Initiative with
other service learning programs around the nation. Students will also be
asked to list their goals for the trip, as well as keep a journal of their
experiences during their time in Jamaica.

We still have a few open spots for this program. We wanted to reach out to
you a university professional to see if you had any members who you feel
should be hand selected for this great opportunity from your campus. We hope
recommendations from you will help overcome the "I didn't know" and "I
didn't think I'd get accepted" issues that surround this new program.

We have extended the deadline to complete an application until Friday March,
26, 2010 at 9am (EST)/Noon (PST)

To complete an application:
http://deltaupsilongsi.wufoo.com/forms/delta-upsilon-global-service-initiati
ve/

For more information:
http://www.facebook.com/serviceinitiative?v=app_4949752878
<http://www.facebook.com/serviceinitiative?v=app_4949752878&ref=ts> &ref=ts

Program Specifics:

The 2010 Global Service Initiative will take place May 15 - 22 (8 days) in
Negril, Jamaica.

Pricing
$500 per member (includes lodging, breakfast and dinner)

Participants will need to cover the travel cost to Montego Bay Jamaica -
Sangster International Airport (MBJ)

Participants will need to cover the cost of lunches, transportation to the
resort and
excursion trips (approx. $175)

If you have any questions or are hearing feedback from your students based
on this program please feel free to let know.

Best,
Andy

Andrew S. Bergman

Associate Executive Director of Educational Services

Delta Upsilon International Fraternity

8705 Founders Road

Indianapolis, Indiana 46268

317.875.8900 ext. 206