[Dtwg] [External] guidelines for size for PIT tagging terrapins

Cullman, Georgina (Parks) Georgina.Cullman at parks.nyc.gov
Mon Jul 18 15:07:02 EDT 2022

Use caution with links and attachments.
Hi all,

We were wondering if there are any standards or guidelines for when a terrapin is large enough to be tagged. We are using 8mm PIT tags and have been concerned about tagging the smaller males. The needle seems so big in comparison with their legs. We were wondering about size cutoffs -- for minimum size (i.e., either plastron length or weight).

We would appreciate any insight from your experience!

Thank you!
-Georgina

---
Georgina Cullman, PhD (she/her)
Ecologist | Forestry, Horticulture, and Natural Resources

T (212) 360-1432
C (917) 838-0710
E georgina.cullman at parks.nyc.gov

NYC Parks