[Dtwg] Captive PIT tagged terrapin

Barbara Brennessel bbrennes at wheatonma.edu
Wed Oct 16 20:25:15 EDT 2019

This is an interesting idea.  I leave it to the leadership of the DTWG to
decide on a policy and devise a method to share this information.  Perhaps
the tagging efforts could be shared at regional meetings and then collected
at the next national meeting...

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 6:25 PM Marguerite Whilden <tidewater1 at mac.com>
wrote:

> Regarding the tagged terrapin discovered at a reptile show, it would be
> helpful to have a readily available chart describing all terrapin tagging
> efforts.  If not already established there should be a code of ethics
> adopted by any/all researchers permitted by States to tag wild terrapins
> that would require an effort to notify the source of the original tag. (The
> Maryland Scientific Collection Permit once required such notification.) I
> learned recently that terrapins with Terrapin Institute tags and other
> obvious telltale marks on the shell were discovered in the Chesapeake.
> Unfortunately there was no effort to identify the original tagger and
> report such findings because the researcher was unaware of any other
> tagging programs.  The Terrapin Institute has posted several photos
> depicting examples of our various tagging techniques beginning with our
> 1998 tags.
> Might there be any interest among this membership to compile a chart of
> tagging efforts and develop a code of ethics?
>
> > On Oct 16, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Barbara Brennessel <bbrennes at wheatonma.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for all your responses. We identified the area from which the
> captive PIT tagged terrapin originated.  Law enforcement is now in the
> picture.
> >
> >  It's quite a coincidence that this was reported just after the DTWG
> workshop in Wilmington at which there were a couple of talks that mentioned
> poaching.
> >
> > --
> > Barbara Brennessel, Ph.D.
> > Professor Emerita