[Dtwg] DTWG Listserve Question: Diet Sampling in Louisiana Terrapins

Selman, Will will.selman at millsaps.edu
Wed Apr 10 17:54:32 EDT 2019

Terrapin Colleagues,
I have a student working on a terrapin diet analysis project.  These are from fecal samples collected when I was working on terrapins in SW Louisiana (i.e., Gulf of Mexico.  We have hit a few items that are roadblocks, and we are unsure of their identity.  If you have any insight or thoughts on these items, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Will

Terp 1- Small gastropod snail on left; different than typical Littorina shells we have encountered
Terp 2- Possibly colonial hydrozoans??? We have found a lot of this in our samples.
Terp 3- TINY gastropod snail (<2 mm)
Terp 4- ~5 mm spiked structures that are "C" shaped in cross section (maybe eliminates fish spines).  They are hardened like glass.

Will Selman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biology
Box 150263
Millsaps College